Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Proobook 6360b LG631EA#ABD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to upgrade the cpu to an Intel Core i7-2720QM i7 2720QM SR014 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Eight-Thread CPU Processor 6M 45W Socket G2 / rPGA988B?

Current the system have an 

Name: Intel Core i5 2410M
Code Name: Sandy Bridge
Package Socket 988B rPGA
Technology 32nm
Specification Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

To what Bios I have to upgrade? 

I already have install an SSD 1 Tb and 16 GB Ram.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In my experience the motherboard must specifically be designed to work with Quad Core processors. Not an engineer but I understand the circuitry is different and the processor pins are different. HP does not release schematics. I have never seen a situation where a laptop for which HP did not offer Quad Core CPU as an option will work with a Quad Core. Does not mean it can't happen just that I have never heard of it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

If you look at p. 1 there are no Quad Core processors listed. You can certainly do an i7-2620M dual core which would boost the clock speed from 2.3 to 2.7 ghz and the L3 from 3 to 4 mb which is significant. A Quad Core might work but I think not. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hello, 

first, many thanks for the quick reply. In general I agree 100% with your answer.

What do you think? When I look at the attached link for cpu upgrade, they tell me a chance of 91% for an upgrade to the i7-2720QM.

Also I read that the change at an Probook 6560 to an i7-2720QM was successfull.

Is there an realistic change for success?

Did you have an proposal for the best Bios update?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

In my experience the motherboard must specifically be designed to work with Quad Core processors. Not an engineer but I understand the circuitry is different and the processor pins are different. HP does not release schematics. I have never seen a situation where a laptop for which HP did not offer Quad Core CPU as an option will work with a Quad Core. Does not mean it can't happen just that I have never heard of it.

HP Recommended

Okay, Thanks.

HP Recommended

You can upgrade to any i-7-2xxx CPU.  But pay attention to the TDP, it should not be too large. I installed the i7-2670 (TDP 45w) and it works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.