Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion 17-e031sa Notebook PC purchased only 2-weeks ago and running Windows 8.  The ctrl key is not working as it should.  I would typically use it together with the left mouse key to highlight non-consecutive items for copying, but it will not work for this function.  It doesn't seem to be the key itself as it does work in the alt/ctrl/del combination.  I have tried uninstalling the keyboard driver and rebooting, but without success.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi riggy69,

Sorry for the confusion, I knew those hotkeys wouldn't do the function you were looking for. I wanted to know if those shortcuts worked using the Ctrl key. This way we can see if it that particular function is working or all the ctrl key shortcuts are working. Did any hotkeys do what they were supposed to do? For example, does Ctrl+X cut the selected text or does Ctrl-Esc open the start menu?

Trying to see if there is something wrong with the key itself or is someone is wrong with that particular function you are trying.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Can anyone help on this one please?

HP Recommended

Hi riggy69,

That is an odd issue with the ctrl key. Is it both ctrl keys that are causing the problem or just the one? Below is a link to a list of hotkeys, please open up “General Keyboard Shortcuts” and try a few of those ctrl hot keys and let me know if those work or not.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it is both ctrl keys that are not working as expected.  I have tried from the list of hot-keys as you suggested, but none of them perform the function I described - i.e. being able to highlight non-consecutive items by use of mouse left-click while holding down ctrl.  

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hi riggy69,

Sorry for the confusion, I knew those hotkeys wouldn't do the function you were looking for. I wanted to know if those shortcuts worked using the Ctrl key. This way we can see if it that particular function is working or all the ctrl key shortcuts are working. Did any hotkeys do what they were supposed to do? For example, does Ctrl+X cut the selected text or does Ctrl-Esc open the start menu?

Trying to see if there is something wrong with the key itself or is someone is wrong with that particular function you are trying.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6,

Firstly I can confirm that the other hotkey functions involving the ctrl key are wotking properly.

But better than that, the problem now seems to have resolved itself!  I'm not quite sure what has fixed it, but in one of your page links I noticed the suggestion to depress the shift key 5-times to acivate some key settings, so I think this may have been the answer to the problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

HP Recommended

hello, i also have some issue with 'ctrl key'. it is both keys. can you help me? i still have manufactory warranty. can u help me?

2018-04-18.png

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.