Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion x360- 15-cr0037wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought this new laptop and need to know if I can replace the installed 16GB Optane module with an almost new 32 GB module I pulled from my desktop.   I think the extra space and faster speed of the 32GB would be beneficial but am concerned that even though they both use the same amount of power the increased speed might make the module overheat in a laptop. I don't need info on how to do it,  I already know that,  just unsure of the compatibility.  Also,  with either Optane module do I need to disable it before making the backup disks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think you are overthinking it. There is no manufacturer approval of any upgrade and I think you would be fine if you did it but I don't think you gain much, either. I think using the 16 gig Optane to accelerate a SATA SSD is a good idea but you are right it will not speed it up very much. I did a lot of experimentation with Optane, SATA M.2, NVME M.2 and accelerating a SATA 2.5 SSD with an Optane is going to boost read speed from about 550 mbps to maybe 900-1000 mbps...not as fast as an NVME M.2; somewhere between SATA M.2 and NVME M.2. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Can we know exactly the kind of 32 gig Optane module you want to install? Just because it has a bigger capacity does not make it faster. Optane modules are just small capacity PCIe/NVME M.2 SSDs and they all tend to be pretty fast. And 16 gb is plenty big for the work the Optane module does. It really does not need more space. But if you feel like you have to do this yes. I would remove (disable) the 16 gig Optane module from its acceleration function in the Intel Rapid Storage app and then physically remove the 16 gig Optane module. Then put in the 32 gig module, boot up and then enable the 32 gig as the Optane accelerator using the same app. Now do your backup. You really do not need to reinstall Windows or recover from the backup to switch from a 16 gig Optane to a 32 gig. The Optane does not actually permanently store anything; the Optane software parks certain system and frequently accessed files there temporarily so they can be read from and written to very fast and it speeds up the operation of the whole system. Switching to a 32 gig Optane module will not overheat anything. 

You likely have questions so feel free to post back. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply Huffer!   The 32GB memory module is an Intel Optane Memory Series model MEMPEK1W032GA 32GB that I had installed in a Kaby Lake desktop I built.  I was so impressed with it I took it out and replaced it with an Optane 900p NVMe PCIe x 4 SSD which I just love, but really didn't need 🙂

Intel data shows that the 32GB runs a LOT faster than the 16GB but still has the same power requirement.

When they first came out they weren't compatible with laptops because the laptop designs and motherboards weren't compatible  AND because HEAT would likely be a problem.  Are you SURE the 64GB won't produce a lot more heat inside the laptop?   I can't find anywhere that 32GB is used and compatible in laptops.

HP Recommended

In my previous reply I mentioned Optane 64GB.....I should have said 32GB.

HP Recommended

The 32 gig will work and will not produce significantly more heat. You don't see 32 gig Optane modules in laptops because you do not really need a 32 gig Optane module; 16 will suffice. I see they recommend the 32 gig for gaming but that would only apply if you have a really huge capacity video card, which you don't really see in laptops. What is the model of the 16 gig Optane you currently have; also Intel?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  The 16GB Optane memory module is made only by Intel.   I have decided it would be risky to use the 32GB version without the manufacturer of the laptop's compatibility approval.  I'll just switch the mechanical HDD to a Samsung 2.5" SSD and use the existing 16GB Optane memory to speed that up since Optane has been shown to be faster than Sata SSDs....just not the huge jump in speed that is seen when  used with mechanical HDDs.  Intel says Optane memory works with ssd's as well as SATA mechanical HDDs.

HP Recommended

I think you are overthinking it. There is no manufacturer approval of any upgrade and I think you would be fine if you did it but I don't think you gain much, either. I think using the 16 gig Optane to accelerate a SATA SSD is a good idea but you are right it will not speed it up very much. I did a lot of experimentation with Optane, SATA M.2, NVME M.2 and accelerating a SATA 2.5 SSD with an Optane is going to boost read speed from about 550 mbps to maybe 900-1000 mbps...not as fast as an NVME M.2; somewhere between SATA M.2 and NVME M.2. 

HP Recommended

Hi again Huffer.   I finally found the authoritative answer to my question about using 32GB Optane Memory in my new laptop in place of the16GB module already installed!!!!   My decision not to was correct.  They are not the same just in different capacities.....these quotes will explain:

"Are there any differences between Intel® Optane™ memory module (Desktop platform supported only) and Intel® Optane™ memory M10 (Desktop and Mobile platform support)?

For 7th and 8th Gen Intel® Core™-i mobile platforms, you need the [newer] Intel® Optane™ memory M10 modules, with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 15.9 or later driver. The new M10 modules improve power management support, allowing mobile designs to use this technology. This technology (M10 module) can be used in either Desktop or Mobile Intel® Optane™ memory enabled platforms."

From this website:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m...

HP Recommended

Well I also guess that explains why you never see the 32 gigs used in laptops. Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.