Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

How to quickly disable touchpad on HP ENVY 15t-j000?  

I just got one of the newest Haswell notebook.  With older HP laptop touch pads there is a spot at the upper left corner to disable the touchpad.  With the latest Synaptic touchpad on the new ENVY 15t there is no keyboard or touchpad button to disable the touchpad when you are using a mouse.

Please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Unfortunately there is no keyboard shortcut for turning the touchpad for this model.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi

The touchpads on some new notebooks do not have an on/off button go to control panel The touchpad itself does not have a dot or hardware switch toturn on/off. However, you can turn this function on and off from the control panel.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.  Is there a shortcut or key board option to quickly toggle the touch pad on/off?

That was one of the key feature for modern laptop is to have a simple method to turn off the touch pad when you dock your laptop.   Hate to see HP take a big step backward.

HP Recommended

Hi

Unfortunately there is no keyboard shortcut for turning the touchpad for this model.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

OK on the ENVY 15t-j000 there's no option to disable the touch pad in the control panel.   Even if you pull up the device manager there's no option to disable the touchpad.  Just the option to uninstall it.

This is another MAJOR flaw with the current ENVY laptp.   Also seems to be a flaw in the support forum to recommend an option that is NOT avaialbe.

HP Recommended
i am using hp pavilion 15-e006tu notebook.i dont have synaptics driver in my laptop.i am using windows 7 (64bit).
can anyone provide me the driver link .so that i can install
HP Recommended

Hello pranayt. I understand you are looking for a Windows 7 Synaptics driver. Here is an HP website with this driver available for download: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-82193-1

Let me know if this assists you or not. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Wish HP would have Synaptics make a disable patch or other software to correct this problem.  Really like the Envy 15 but this is a major flaw...

Thanks

HP Recommended

It seems to me for the HP Envy and Windows 8.1 (maybe 8 too, for all I know) this change to have no keyboard on/off for the click pad may be for the better.

If you go to Mouse Properties in Win 8.1, you can not only enable/disable the clickpad with an on-screen button,but you can also check a box to make it automaticaly disable the clickpad whenever there is an external USB pointing device attached.

This is a better solution for me, since I always use the clickpad only when I have no other pointing device. I also have a 8.1 Logitech optical mouse that has extra buttons designed especially for 8.1.

HP Recommended

Updated with info for Windows 8.1/10 users...

Surprised nobody mentioned this in the thread.  Even in Windows 7 this is available under the Mouse icon in Control panel.  Windows will automatically disable the touch pad if you connect a USB mouse to the system if you configure it to.  No need for a hotkey.

• Click WINDOWS+R Keys at the same time.  (or right click on the windows icon on the taskbar and click Run.
  • Type main.cpl and press enter
  • The mouse menu will come up.
  • Click on the ClickPad Settings tab
  • Place a check in Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.
  • Click OK.

Once this is done anytime you plug a mouse in the touchpad will be disabled automatically.  

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.