Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just read this text, and I agree that the missing hot button is disappointing. I also do not unplug my mouse adapter when I am not using it, so the recommended fix doesn't help much. I did, however, create two profiles for my mouse settings through the Synaptics properties. One Profile is my default trackpad settings and the other is with the pad disabled. It works fine, I just have to remember to switch before I leave my mouse at home...

Andy

HP Recommended

Where on the control panel can you disable the touch pad?

HP Recommended

My Envy DOES have a disable capability. As stated, in Control Panel go to the mouse applet. Go to the HP Control Zone settings tab. Just above the three tray icon options at the bottom of the dialog there is a checkbox option that reads "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached". I checked this box and promptly got a dialog telling me the touchpad had been disabled because it detected the USB mouse connected to the system.

I would have PREFERED a button like the touchpad on my DV6T. So not an elegant solution, but the touchpad CAN be disabled.

HP Recommended

This is what I did -

Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Devices and Printers --> Click on Mouse

Mouse Properties window --> HP Control Zone Settings tab --> Check the box that reads "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"

It works when USB mouse is connected.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

For those frustrated HP ENVY 15t with Windows 8.1 users that have been experiencing problems with the control zone / touch pad, I offer the following instructions to finally turn the darn thing off, but, very quickly turning it back on.

1. Go to the Windows (blue) start screen
  2. In upper right hand search box type “control panel”
  3. In upper right hand control panel search box type “change mouse settings”
  4. Click on change mouse settings
  5. In the mouse settings tabs, click on HP Control Zone Settings (far right tab)
  6. Click on box “disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached
  7. Problem solved, Yeeeeehaw!!!!!!!!!
HP Recommended

It is easy to disable the touch pad. They call it the clickpad under mouse properties.

windows 10 Hp Envy X360

Settings - Devices  - Mouse & Touch Pad

Select the additional Mouse options link at the bottom of the page.

I get an error message about Control panel extension incompatable, click ok and the mouse properties window appears.

You can't miss the clickpad disable and enable buttons on the clickpad tab. I had to click the apply button before the settings would work.

They also have a check box labeled - Disable internal pointing device when external usb pointing device is connected.

That is even nicer.  Plug in mouse, clickpad does not work. Remove mouse clickpad works.

Pretty easy.

Good luck.

I will try a windows 8 Envy tomorrow, maybe. The wife said she wants to be able to disable hers too.

HP Recommended

Thx Elnator,

That did the trick.

Mine had the option under the HP Control Zone Settings tab.

I can finally type on my laptop without the cursor jumping all over the place.

HP Recommended

No problem, glad I could help.

HP Recommended

On my Envy j172np, windows 10, i went to :

-mouse and touch pad definitions

-aditional mouse options

- clickpad definitions Tab

Selected : turn off touchpad when an external pointing device is being used.

Which for me is exactly what i need, i would not like to be somewhere without a mouse and then not be able to use the touchpad.

Bu you can also completly turn off your touchpad there if you want to do it for some reason.

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

While the person asking this question probably has another computer by now, just in case anybody else comes here looking for an answer....

1. It is surprising that HP hasn't used on of the F-keys like on other laptops. This is such an important function for laptop users using a mouse. It took me some time to figure out that it was my palm brushing up against the touchpad causing unwanted things to happen.

2. I discovered a much simpler way toggle back and forth. In the Notification area (right side) of the Task Bar (bottom of screen) you can choose to have the direct access to the "ClickPad properties" (my Envy has Synaptics Pointing Device) by setting the Synaptics TouchPad icon to always show up in the Task Bar.  Some preliminary steps first:

* open up Mouse Properties control panel, go to the ClickPad settings tab and set up a custom profile for the option to disable the track pad. Once you have that close the control panel and...

* right click an empty part of the task bar and select Properties, then in that window click "customize". There you can set the Synaptics TouchPad icon to always show in the Notification Area.

* Whenever you want to toggle the touchpad off or on (after having created your profile in the control panel) simply right click the icon, hover over "profiles" and choose your custom profile, or return to the default "Standard".

Once you've set this up it is a quick 2 click process to toggle the touchpad!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.