22 9 2 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

hard drive size question

HP Recommended
Example: hp probook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have the hp probook 6470b laptop it has a 500gb hard drive in it now how big in gb can i install in this machine? i'm thinking of getting a 1tb hard drive for it.

also it has 8gb ram will this machine take more ram?  i'm not ready yet to increase the ram just asking.

but i would like it install a larger 1tb hard drive so i might partition it into 2- 500gb drives and then use one for an internal backup drive. i have been talking about backup on the win10 forums and a lot ar talking about just increasing the hard drive and then partitioning  that to make an internal backup drive  instead of adding a nas drive on my network. at this time i use a usb hard drive and have to plug it in every sunday to get the backup. thanks

when i had a tower pc i had an extra hard drive in it just for backups.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
118,637 108,818 17,287 26,428
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can install 2 x 8 GB of memory in your notebook.

You can install a 1 TB hard drive.

Yes, you can partition it and use the other partition for a backup, but what if the drive fails?

A failed drive will take out everything--including the backup partition.

So, you may want to consider having a backup for your backup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
22 9 2 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks paul. i also have a backup usb hard drive. for more safety. i would run that now and then. but the normal backup could be the hard drive. and it looks like i have the most ram this pc will take. it now has 8gb.  thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
118,637 108,818 17,287 26,428
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook currently has 8 GB, you can install 2 x 8 GB and have a total of 16 GB.

See the Crucial memory report for your notebook at the link below.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/probook-6470b

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation