Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: hp probook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have the hp probook 6470b laptop it has a 500gb hard drive in it now how big in gb can i install in this machine? i'm thinking of getting a 1tb hard drive for it.

also it has 8gb ram will this machine take more ram?  i'm not ready yet to increase the ram just asking.

but i would like it install a larger 1tb hard drive so i might partition it into 2- 500gb drives and then use one for an internal backup drive. i have been talking about backup on the win10 forums and a lot ar talking about just increasing the hard drive and then partitioning  that to make an internal backup drive  instead of adding a nas drive on my network. at this time i use a usb hard drive and have to plug it in every sunday to get the backup. thanks

when i had a tower pc i had an extra hard drive in it just for backups.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can install 2 x 8 GB of memory in your notebook.

You can install a 1 TB hard drive.

Yes, you can partition it and use the other partition for a backup, but what if the drive fails?

A failed drive will take out everything--including the backup partition.

So, you may want to consider having a backup for your backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can install 2 x 8 GB of memory in your notebook.

You can install a 1 TB hard drive.

Yes, you can partition it and use the other partition for a backup, but what if the drive fails?

A failed drive will take out everything--including the backup partition.

So, you may want to consider having a backup for your backup.

HP Recommended

thanks paul. i also have a backup usb hard drive. for more safety. i would run that now and then. but the normal backup could be the hard drive. and it looks like i have the most ram this pc will take. it now has 8gb.  thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook currently has 8 GB, you can install 2 x 8 GB and have a total of 16 GB.

See the Crucial memory report for your notebook at the link below.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/probook-6470b

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.