Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR)

can someone show me how the partitions are arranged  so i can make my bios work in uefi mode,ie what partitions are needed and there size and location on the drive,I have tried having the hp tools 512mb partition located on the far left in drive management then the win partittion  next to it on the left hand side,The disk is gpt but windows 10 says cant  install windows as its a gpt drive,can anyone help?. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

yes i used that file to make and install the hp tools partition,the road i took was 1,installed windows seven,  2 ran the hp file to create the hp tools partition.3used disk management to make a new partition for windows ten .4 enabeled the uefi tab in the systen config bios screen .5  ran mini tool partition wizzard to move the hp tools partition to the start of the disk. 6 used the same tool to convert the disk to gpt without data loss ,7. Ran the windows ten install disk,that went fine untill i pointed it to the newly made windoows ten partition then it gave a warning that i couldnt install as the disk was of the gpt partition type.that was as far as the install would go,I hope that helps,thanks for your time regards Paul. 

HP Recommended

So am I understanding you are trying to dual boot 7 and 10? You generally install the newer OS first then the older. 

HP Recommended

Not realy,i need about 5 bootable partitions for software ranging from win xp to win 12,,i can convert the drive to gpt but,the bios still behaves like legacy/mbr and not uefi even when the enable eufi tab is enabled in the bios setup,if i can get any windows to install on the disk after converting from mbr partition scheme to guid then i will be sorted,,thanks,does anyone know how the eufi works on the 8730w as it seems its a sort of mix between mbr and eufi,sort of a quasi hybrid bios ,thanks.

HP Recommended

edit,i meant win xp to win 11.

HP Recommended

still no answer to my issue of getting a gpt drive to work with uefi enabled on this pc then?.

HP Recommended

You kind of lost me at 5 bootable partitions. The laptop is quite a bit older and I am not clear when in hardware history true hardware based secure boot/uefi was possible. As you suggest, trying to do secure boot/uefi on older hardware sometimes involves some emulation and does not work quite the same as newer systems. Not clear on which side of the line yours falls. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.