Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-by1033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchased Hp 17-BY1033dx laptop.  Am trying to install additional RAM.  Removed the 4 screws on the back, but it doesn't seem to want to come off.  What more do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I gave you the link to the service manual in my last reply.

It seems like the right one to me as it lists your model series in the first section of chapter 1.

And if you look at chapter 1, page 2 of the service manual, the memory upgrade info based on your PC's specs, clearly states that the memory can be expanded up to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB).

So I would have to say the person you spoke to at HP is incorrect.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See chapter 6 of the service manual for how to remove the bottom cover.

There are a whole lot more than 4 screws you have to remove...some are hiding under the rubber feet.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06148960

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for the response.  I was actually wondering if there were hidden screws i didn't know about.  I was trying to find the service manual on line to check chapter 6 like you suggested.  Haven't had much luck yet.  Will keep trying.  In the meantime I called HP tech support to see if they would talk to me.  They told me my laptop would not accept any more RAM.  He said it came with one 8 G chip and that the other slot was just a dummy slot.  Never heard of such a thing.  I bought the laptop at Best Buy and they also sold me the extra 8 G RAM chip.  They said their GEEK squad would install it for $40.00..  Only problem, they didn't have it in stock and had to ship it to me.  Guess I will take it back to Best Buy and see if they will install it for me.  My guess is the guy at HP tech support is wrong.  If not I will ask Best Buy for a return on the extra RAM.  I didn't want to go ahead and try to install the extra RAM just in case he is right.

Do you think the HP tech support guy knows what he is talking about?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I gave you the link to the service manual in my last reply.

It seems like the right one to me as it lists your model series in the first section of chapter 1.

And if you look at chapter 1, page 2 of the service manual, the memory upgrade info based on your PC's specs, clearly states that the memory can be expanded up to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB).

So I would have to say the person you spoke to at HP is incorrect.

HP Recommended

Paul......

I used the link you sent me and downloaded the manual. I intend to go ahead and do this myself.  Thank you so much for the help.

Labe

HP Recommended

Anytime, Labe.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.