Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi all,

i have a quick question today, Actually i have a Hp Elitebook 8440p with core i5 and 2gb ram ( samsung 2rx8 pc3-10600).

and i am running windows 7 x64 bit.

so i decided to upgrade memory to 8GB and i  install 2x4GB  (matched pair) (hynix 1rx8 pc3-10600). but it does not work. wont start up and goes in loop. and if i put original samsung 2GB back in then its work fine..

i tried many times with all possible combinations but it does not work. and if i go to bios setup, it shows 8GB memory installed in it but cant get thorugh in it.

i am wondering is it the problem of 2rx8 and 1rx8? because my original old got 2rx8 and new ones got 1rx8 on it...

i am really worried about it...please help me soon...Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I cannot say for 100% sure, but yes, I think the number of memory chips on the board can indicate density.

The symptoms you have described indicate a density issue to a "T."

The memory shows up fine in the BIOS, but the PC refuses to work with it.

I have suggested this cause to several others and when they purchased the lower density memory with 16 chips on the board, their problem was solved.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I believe you have installed high density memory, and your notebook won't work with that.

You notebook needs low density memory with the following specs...

• Module Size: 4GB
  • Package: 204-pin SODIMM
  • Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
  • Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V or 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

I recommend this memory for your notebook...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148493

or...2 of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139190

HP Recommended
Thanks for your Reply Paul,

are 1rx8 and 2rx8 something to do with density?

becuase what i believe my new ram modules hynix 1rx8 got all that specs what you mentioned..
so finally its density problem?
HP Recommended

I cannot say for 100% sure, but yes, I think the number of memory chips on the board can indicate density.

The symptoms you have described indicate a density issue to a "T."

The memory shows up fine in the BIOS, but the PC refuses to work with it.

I have suggested this cause to several others and when they purchased the lower density memory with 16 chips on the board, their problem was solved.

HP Recommended
Thanks For your help

Regards
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if purchasing low density memory modules solved the problem for you.

HP Recommended

Good Day Sir... How can I know what is the Density of this 4gb RAM  I also have Elitebook 8440p and planing to buy this 2 4gb for may notebook.

TYIA.paul.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

Looks to be good to me, but I am not sure about the speed (PC-12800).

Not sure if it is backward compatible to PC-8500.

The PC-10600 memory is, but I am not sure about 12800.

See if you can test it out before you commit to buying it.

HP Recommended

^ Thank You Sir. Can you please teach me what those digits stands for?

ASU1600S11 -4G -EDEG 5807056 - 1222 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I only know what a part of the code means...

ASU1600S11 -4G

1600 MHz (PC3-12800) , clock speed (latency) 11, and 4 GB in size.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.