Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8710p
Linux

The computer worked normally for years with two systems, Windows 7 and Linux Debian. Now last it opens as long as I take the power cord out and put it back in. The light, on the switch is turning on. Then I must press the on/off switch for a long time (2-3 sec). After that everything works fine continuously until I close it (hours and days later). But when I open it again it presents the same problem and it opens only with the above procedure. It does not open even by constantly pressing the on/off button on the laptop. The battery is removed from the laptop. The problem remain in both systems.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@gtsatsanis 

Honestly, there is most likely nothing you can get from HP that will address this.

your PC is long out of warranty and HP does not service older PCs.

And while this is certainly an inconvenience, nonetheless, with some fiddling, you can get the laptop to work fine.

To have this fixed would be very costly as you would have to pay some place to run extensive diagnostics on it, and when done, most likely, they would want to replace the motherboard, and even presuming an old component like this could still be found, that would cost you more than simply replacing the laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@gtsatsanis 

Honestly, there is most likely nothing you can get from HP that will address this.

your PC is long out of warranty and HP does not service older PCs.

And while this is certainly an inconvenience, nonetheless, with some fiddling, you can get the laptop to work fine.

To have this fixed would be very costly as you would have to pay some place to run extensive diagnostics on it, and when done, most likely, they would want to replace the motherboard, and even presuming an old component like this could still be found, that would cost you more than simply replacing the laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

A lot of thanks for your time.

Mary Christmas.

George Tsatsanis

Greece

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.