Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8560p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In my Notebook when i press some buttons i see letters and numbers 

for ex. when i type it types 7K and J types J8 .

is anyone got this problem before?

Please help

Thanks 

Bassem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is necessary for you to replace the keyboard.

It is not sending the correct signals to the motherboard.

Yes, even a notebook computer has a replacable keyboard.

It's a job best assigned to a qualified computer technician, to find and order a compatible keyboard, and to disassemble the laptop far enough to be able to swap the keyboard.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It is necessary for you to replace the keyboard.

It is not sending the correct signals to the motherboard.

Yes, even a notebook computer has a replacable keyboard.

It's a job best assigned to a qualified computer technician, to find and order a compatible keyboard, and to disassemble the laptop far enough to be able to swap the keyboard.

HP Recommended

thanks a lot 

HP Recommended

Final thought: before you seek to replace the keyboard, connect an external keyboard to a USB port on your computer.

If those two keys work fine on the external keyboard, it is *NOT* the motherboard that is messing-up the signals coming from the keyboard(s), i.e., it points back to the laptop's keyboard.

HP Recommended

I tried to replace the Laptop keyboard but i still have the problem, and when i tried USB keyboard there was no problem.

so what could be the problem now? MotherBoard or what??

HP Recommended

> so what could be the problem now? MotherBoard or what??

It is the motherboard that receives the signals from the keyboard:

* press a key, and the "make" status is enabled,

* hold-down a key, and after 250 milliseconds (unless otherwise set by the BIOS) the "repeat" function is enabled,

* release a key, and the "break" status is enabled.

For example, CTRL-ALT-DELETE is:

* make CTRL

* make ALT

* make DELETE

* break DELETE

* break CTL (or ALT)

* break ALT (or CTL)

It is the first "break" in the above that sends a unique code to Windows.

This is a "low-level" function, not using the disk-drive, and only inserting that one "code" into the RAM,

and then Windows gets the CPU to run a bunch of instructions, to grab that code, and to react to that unique code.

So, sad to say, but if replacing the motherboard does not solve the problem, then it is necessary to replace the motherboard (or to buy a new computer). Expensive!

Take the computer to a qualified technician, to seek a second opinion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.