Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
N6B12EA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

Looking to the Laptop description, I always find 8gb Ram.

The diagnostic tools on the startup mention that only one Ram is inserted in slot2 and slot 1 is free.

The existing inserted RAM module is a Hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB 8gb RAM DDR3 1600MHz.

On purchase RAM site, I found the exact same part number and seems that the supported maximum amount for this laptop is 16Gb.

Where all documentation I found on HP website mention 8gb.

Why HP will put only One RAM of 8gb and leaving a empty slot where the maximum is already reached ?

Also i found on some doc : 

MemoryTwo SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable

So i would like a firm confirmation that I cannot upgrade from 1*8 Gb to 2*8Gb

I need 16Gb for performing some virtualization on the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @sbalon

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know what is the maximum memory supported on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

I have checked the specifications of your PC and the maximum supported memory on your PC is 16GB.

Since your laptop went with 8Gb memory you can add another 8GB memory to second memory slot to make it 16GB.

Please find the part number for memory mentioned below.

Memory module (PC3L, 12800, DDR3L-160 😞
8 GB 693374-005
4 GB 691740-005
2 GB 691739-005

Refer this manual to know more information.

Hope this answers your query!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi! @sbalon

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know what is the maximum memory supported on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

I have checked the specifications of your PC and the maximum supported memory on your PC is 16GB.

Since your laptop went with 8Gb memory you can add another 8GB memory to second memory slot to make it 16GB.

Please find the part number for memory mentioned below.

Memory module (PC3L, 12800, DDR3L-160 😞
8 GB 693374-005
4 GB 691740-005
2 GB 691739-005

Refer this manual to know more information.

Hope this answers your query!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I check the document on attach and it's also mentionned support up to 8gb.

But I will try to insert a new module.

I also figure out that I need to dismount a lot of stuff before gain access to the memory slot.

It's clearly not a easy upgrade.

Steve Balon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.