Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-db1021nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have this laptop the cpu specs for ram is 2400mhz for the motherboard what are the specs for ram?i have this motherboard hp 85ea. i do this question because the hp said thai inside my laptop is ram 2400mhz but i find that inside is hynix 2666mhz running at 2400mhz.the cpu-z said that run in 1200mhz and in ram description said hynix 2666mhz.and cmd said that is running 2400mhz.and task manager said the same think 2400mhz. i have seen with my eyes the ram is 2666mhz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The faster memory just automatically bridges to match the speed the processor can run the memory at.

DDR4-2666 and even DDR4-3200 can run at 2400 MHz just fine.  No problems at all.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's processor can only run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz.

HP most likely installed 2666 MHz memory because that is what they had on hand at the time.

You can see in chapter 1 of the service manual, the memory spec is 2400 MHz.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

No need to be concerned and the memory cannot run at 2666 MHz.

HP Recommended

what can happen if the ram speed is higher that can support from the machine.i dont speak good english thanks.

HP Recommended

The faster memory just automatically bridges to match the speed the processor can run the memory at.

DDR4-2666 and even DDR4-3200 can run at 2400 MHz just fine.  No problems at all.

HP Recommended

in crucial sait said that i can install ram in 3200mhz.but is wasted money because this speed is not supported.

HP Recommended

That is correct.

If the Crucial DDR4 memory costs more than the DDR4-2666 memory, it would be a waste of money unless you planned on transferring the DDR4-3200 memory to a newer model notebook that could actually run the memory at 3200 MHz in the future.

Then it might be worth it.

HP Recommended

thanks and one last think i want to put 4gb ram more total 12gb i must buy 2400mhz or 2666mhz because the preinstalled ram is 2666mhz?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

My recommendation would be to buy another DDR4-2666 MHz to match what HP installed unless it costs more than the DDR4-2400 memory.

Only then would I install a DDR4-2400 memory module.

As you can see from the product specs for your notebook, HP had planned to install DDR4-2400 memory in it but must have ran out of the slower memory and substituted it with the 2666 MHz.

HP Notebook - 15-db1021nv Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I really think you should spend a little extra, and add a second 8 GB of memory so you have 16 GB running in dual channel mode instead of 12 GB running in the lower performing single channel mode like it is now with only one memory chip.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.