Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs145tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm planning to upgrade the RAM of my notebook, that comes with 8GB of RAM pre-installed and I'm planning to upgrade with 4 more gigs making it to total of 12GB.

My question is, can I use this RAM to upgrade RAM of my HP Notebook without any issues.

link to RAM i'm thinking of using - amazon.in and amazon.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, not really just the size.

DDR4 2400MHz notebook RAM will be always 1.2V, speed 2400MHz and 260 pins

You need non-ECC RAM which will be most of the ones you can find. I would also get a brand name stick which will be easier to find in the future when you will possibly upgrade with another 16GB stick, as two of the same sticks will run in dual channel mode.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, that will work.

Your PC supports max 32GB of DDR4 2400MHz RAM (2x16GB) even if service manual mentions 16GB

So, yes in the empty slot you can insert a 4GB module for a total of 12GB.

On page 50 of the service manual, you can see the steps to upgrade RAM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257

While you have the PC open check if the M2 slot is there.

M2 slotM2 slot

If the slot is there you could install an M2 SSD which will give a great boost to everyday performance (more noticeable than RAM upgrade).

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thanks for that.

It would be helpful if you could also tell mewhat makes a ram eligible to my notebook upgrade, so i can find ram from other brands  and make purchase.

HP Recommended

You're welcome

Basically you need DDR4 2400MHz RAM

You can get from your preferred brand. I usually link Crucial because it guarantees its RAM upgrades. As you can see they offer all different kinds, even higher speeds (which will still run at 2400MHz, meaning that most types will be compatible.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-15-bs145tu#MEMORYFilters

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, you are telling me that things like number of pins, voltage readings(I am not even gonna pretend that i know more of these) doesn't matter and my notebook can take every ram out there, just matching size with my notebook's and need to be DDR4-2400MHz and more.

HP Recommended

Well, not really just the size.

DDR4 2400MHz notebook RAM will be always 1.2V, speed 2400MHz and 260 pins

You need non-ECC RAM which will be most of the ones you can find. I would also get a brand name stick which will be easier to find in the future when you will possibly upgrade with another 16GB stick, as two of the same sticks will run in dual channel mode.

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.