Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
da0017nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

how to reinstall windows 10 from hdd to m.2 nvme ssd?

and i have a recovery partition on hdd. how to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @mdkajolmia 

Yes, if you create W10 installation media using the Microsoft media creation tool, it will find the embedded W10 product key in the BIOS, install and automatically activate as long as you select the same version of W10 the product key is good for.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@mdkajolmia 

First off, the Recovery function is most likely NOT going to work -- for two reasons:

1) Disk size -- the function expects the target volume to be very nearly the size of the original drive, and since your NVME SSD is likely a LOT smaller, that won't work

2) Target location -- the recovery function does not allow you to choose the target drive, so even if you have the NVME drive connected, it's going to target the hard drive.

Second, 

if you want to create recovery media for Win10, then consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
2) Connect the new drive to the PC
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

if i Create Windows 10 installation media from microsoft .and clean install windows 10 on my hp laptop.

so windows 10 will active automaticly or no?

HP Recommended

Hi, @mdkajolmia 

Yes, if you create W10 installation media using the Microsoft media creation tool, it will find the embedded W10 product key in the BIOS, install and automatically activate as long as you select the same version of W10 the product key is good for.

HP Recommended

after clean install windows 10 on my hp laptop,

hp logo is not showing on control panel home

HP Recommended

Hi:

When you clean install W10, there wouldn't be any PC manufacturer's logos showing up in Windows.

If you want the HP factory image, you would need to use the cloud recovery client utility to create a bootable USB recovery drive.

Here is an info link for how to use the cloud recovery client tool...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

this hp logo is not showing ,now how can i get this logo again.jjjjjjj.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

As I posted above, when you clean install W10 from Microsoft, you will not have any PC manufacturer's logos (HP, Dell, ASUS...)

If you want that logo back, you will need to use the HP cloud recovery client utility to reinstall W10, and I can't guarantee it will work because you changed the original drive configuration.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.