Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I wish to upgrade this laptop ,therefore can somebody tell me the maximum capacity of RAM that this computer can take toghether with a HDD change

What HDD can I fit on my laptop to get the most upgrade possible

I am putting down the details of the tag as they appear at the back of the computer

Dv 4378EA

S/N  [Personal Information Removed]

P/N ES973EA#ABZ

I presume they read;  Product: HP Pavilion dv40000

Model:     ES973EA

Series:     DV4378EA

Thank you

Gianni

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

It uses DDR333 aka PC2700 SO-DIMM maximum 2 gigs. 

This memory should work for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1GB-DDR-PC2700-2GB-333-PC-2700-SODIMM-LAPTOP-MEMORY-/370498461245?pt=US_M...

For the replacement procedure, see page 5-15. The hard drive is shown at Page 5-7. 

The hard drive type is EIDE aka PATA. This is "legacy" (obsolete) hardware and larger sized PATA drives are getting hard to find. There is no size constraint imposed by the BIOS or hardware, but the market may not supply you with anything bigger than about 320 gigs and it is going to be expensive to find a new one. The biggest I ever saw was a 500 gig but I have not seen one of those in years. You want to try to find a 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm model although 7200s are extermely hard to locate. 4200 rpm models are just too slow to use. 

Here is a 320 gig on eBay for about $100:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Western-Digital-320GB-2-5-IDE-Hard-Drive-HDD-PATA-Notebook-laptop-5400-rp...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
I've installed a 1 gig ram card on my gfs dv4000 laptop & now it powers up but nothing shows on the screen..This is a fresh brand new licensed install of win7...If I put the old 256 mg cards back; the laptop works..I had wanted to give the laptop more breathing room so to speak..The 1gig card is the proper type..333mghz sdram1..

Any help would be mucho appreciated

TIA

Robert Andreone
HP Recommended

re seat the ram  ps make sure it is the right clock speed  etc any thing slightly out will upset the   os

Laptop Memory: 1GB; 800MHz; 200-pin; PC2-6400; SDRAM Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module (SODIMM)

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Pavilion-dv4000-dv5000-dv6000,Laptop,Memory.aspx

good luck

HP Recommended

Laptop Memory: 1GB; 800MHz; 200-pin; PC2-6400; SDRAM Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module (SODIMM)

ps make sure they match  both the same   

HP Recommended

You realize you are trying to answer a 9-month old post, right?

HP Recommended

no but thats okay some might use the info

HP Recommended

Its a year later but for the HP Pavilion dv4000 did you happen to push the limits and see how much ram it will support, also do you know if the clock rate of the ram hits 800 mhz or if it clocks down?

HP Recommended

max 533 even if you  use 667 or 800. Only (small) improvement possible is to buy low latency memory. 3-3-3-9 instead 4-4-4-12

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.