Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pav DV7 7015 ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

DV7 / Core i7 3610 quad @ 2.30/ 8 gb ram/ win 7 Home Premium (64 bit )

I would like to add (double) the ram in this machine but have never had the cover off and have no idea where the ram lives or how many sticks make up the 8 gigs it currently has. I need to speed things up with the ram upgrade and an SSD to help with my RAW photo processing. 

1) What type of ram does this machine use ?
2) Can I simply add more (another 8 gb stick) or do I replace the current with a 16 gb stick ?
3) What is the max amount of ram this machine will use ?

I'm a desktop type and have no clue what goes on inside a laptop. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to official specs you have 2 x 4 gigs to equal 8. 

specs

Here is the Manual:

Service Manual

See page 53. The memory is inside the big T shaped cover on the bottom of the laptop. It can take up to 16 gigs of memory, 2 x 8 gig modules of this stuff:

8-GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz) 670034-001

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-PC3-12800-Notebooks-KTH-X3C-8G/dp/B0089MTP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Memory prices are down again so this is a good time to buy. I tell most people to forget the 8 gigs to 16 gigs upgrade as most computer users do not need 16 gigs of RAM but processing RAW images to .jpgs or other format is an exception to that: you need all the memory and help you can get. 

An SSD is also a good idea. Your laptop can actually take 2 hard drives. I could write a book on the options that gives you and how to go about it, and I will if you post back and ask questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to official specs you have 2 x 4 gigs to equal 8. 

specs

Here is the Manual:

Service Manual

See page 53. The memory is inside the big T shaped cover on the bottom of the laptop. It can take up to 16 gigs of memory, 2 x 8 gig modules of this stuff:

8-GB memory module (PC3, 12800, 1600-MHz) 670034-001

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-PC3-12800-Notebooks-KTH-X3C-8G/dp/B0089MTP0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Memory prices are down again so this is a good time to buy. I tell most people to forget the 8 gigs to 16 gigs upgrade as most computer users do not need 16 gigs of RAM but processing RAW images to .jpgs or other format is an exception to that: you need all the memory and help you can get. 

An SSD is also a good idea. Your laptop can actually take 2 hard drives. I could write a book on the options that gives you and how to go about it, and I will if you post back and ask questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Thanks, Huffer. Very helpful. Two SSDs sounds like a plan also. I like that this machine has options.
HP Recommended

Better to do an SSD as the OS disk and then a mechanical drive for storage as the secondary. The secondary bay is not bootable so is purely for storage. You will need a second hard drive adapter which you can get a newmodeus.com. 

Process your RAW files from the SSD but store the finished product on the secondary drive. 

SSDs have come down in price but are still several times the price per gig of old school mechanical drives. It is real easy to just put the existing HDD in the secondary bay and buy one SSD, which I recommend be at least a 256 gig and preferably a 500. Samsung Evo 850 is the best to get in terms of bang for the buck. 

HP Recommended

OK, more common sense shared with the 63 year old, retired guy.  😉  Learn something new every day.  Thanks again. I'll look at the drive you suggested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.