Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp omen 15 ce005nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, soon I'll upgrade my old 8gb of ram clocked at 2400mhz whit a new pair  8x2 gb clocked at 3200mhz.

i have just done my reserce if there is compatibility whit my laptop or not and they should. ( in base at Crucial's site)

the only question i have is: Crucial  suggest me these 8x2 gb at3200 mhz but i dont know, once mounted, they'll operate at 3200mhz ( full speed) o they'll automatically downclocked to 2400mhz

i undermark also that i have any setting in my bios that is for the regolation of ram's clock.

help me, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz.

So any memory you install that is faster than 2400 MHz will run at 2400 MHz.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz.

So any memory you install that is faster than 2400 MHz will run at 2400 MHz.

HP Recommended

and there is no way possible that it can run a 3200 mhz or even a 2666mhz whitout downclocking it?

so i should upgrade to a 16gb 2400mhz?

HP Recommended

No way possible to make the memory go faster than the processor can run it at.

If you never plan on using the memory in a newer notebook, you may as well buy the DDR4-2400 memory.

If the DDR4-3200 memory is the same price, you may as well buy that. 

It won't hurt anything and then you could use it in a PC with an Intel 9th or 10 gen processor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.