Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14-ax000 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to make Function Keys F1 - F12 the default.  I can get to the UEFI window, but my choice then is to Update the BIOS.  I don't seem to have a choice to change just the function key default in the BIOS.  Any hints?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally got to the UEFI boot-up screen by holding down a SHIFT-KEY while restarting the laptop.  Instead of Windows, a "Choose Option" screen appears.  Go to "Trouble Shoot", then to "Advanced".  That gets the UEFI screen.  Click the on-screen "Restart" virtual button.  There you get the chance to Reconfigure the BIOS and by searching the screens you'll find "Action Keys" and the virtual button to "Disable" the action keys.  Now the Function Keys, F1 - F12 work like function keys by default.  Hooray!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @cooksdx, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you would like to know how to reverse functions keys on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

As you mentioned you would like to know how to reverse functions keys on your PC.

There is no way you can reverse or remap the function keys on your laptop.

However, you can enable the action keys in BIOS to use the function keys without holding the Fn keys.

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window. (On newer computers, you need to hold down the "esc" key. Then you can opt to go into the BIOS settings.)
Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the "enter" key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
Select the desired mode:

Disabled: You still have the ability to use all those neat shortcut features like ejecting discs, toggling the WiFi and so on with the f1 through f12 keys. Now, in order to use them, you need to hold down the "fn" button to activate the shortcut feature. For exmple, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. (The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.)
Enabled : Requires pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys.
For example, if Enabled , pressing f11 only will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
Press f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time by going back into the BIOS.

Refer this article to know more information about Disabling the Fn + Function Key.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I finally got to the UEFI boot-up screen by holding down a SHIFT-KEY while restarting the laptop.  Instead of Windows, a "Choose Option" screen appears.  Go to "Trouble Shoot", then to "Advanced".  That gets the UEFI screen.  Click the on-screen "Restart" virtual button.  There you get the chance to Reconfigure the BIOS and by searching the screens you'll find "Action Keys" and the virtual button to "Disable" the action keys.  Now the Function Keys, F1 - F12 work like function keys by default.  Hooray!

HP Recommended

@cooksdx, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I Appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned after disabling the action keys in BIOS your issue got resolved.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.