Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Greetings, I have an HP Pavilion laptop dv6t-2300, I had to replace the motherboard. I connected all the ribbon wire except one...the power switch. The ribbon going from the MB plugged into jack fine, then I tried to plug the ribbon onto the switch end....won't fit, the jack has a different design and different #of leads. Thank You

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

See p. 4-22 of this Manual:

Service Manual

There are two different power button boards: one for discrete video systems and one for integrated video systems. 

You are going to have to give us the specific model number or at least the part number of the old motherboard and the replacement board part number. Then we can find you the correct power button board. 

HP Recommended

I don't see how what was once fitting/working, doesn't now fit/work, with the exact same hardware. It's almost as if the jack on the little main switch was changed.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention I have the Maintenance and Service guide.

HP Recommended

I don't know if this will help

HP Recommended

Re: HP info ser.# [edit], product# WH770AV, Model# DV6t-2300

HP Recommended

Its been a while since I worked on one but I seem to recall a lot of ribbon cables. Does your cable look like the one in the Manual I linked? Maybe you mixed up 2 of the cables? But you are right if all you changed was the motherboard and not the button board and you are using the same button board and the same cable no logical way it won't reinstall if the MB end of the cable plugs in right?

HP Recommended

How do you determine which is a discrete system and which is integrated video? Thank You for your time. -MRM

HP Recommended

Yes, there is no logical way this would happen. I have found a pic of the other style of connector on the button board. It has a locking lever that locks the ribbon in, Insert ribbon flip/rotate black lever and then its locked. I have found one button board for 8 dollars. It's worth trying. So I will get it and get back to you. Maybe you'll come across another problem like this again and be able to help someone and prove Windows is still a piece of discombobulated (sp?) pain in the butt. Thanks for your help. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.