Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

received a pop up warning (Unknown usb device needs more power than the port can provide)

No device installed at the time of the warning. Warning still persists

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@kennuk,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • Do you have any USB devices connected to the computer?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the prompt response. I have had this laptop (HP Spectre X360 ) for only a few weeks. I plugged  usb hub into the USB type c power connector.  i was attempting to use two external usb drives from this hub. I was unsuccess full . I unplugged the hub and itwas only later i got the warning 'device requires more power than can be provided ) This flashing warning persisted even after shutting down and having no devices connected. I am wondering if I connected to the wrong usb port and should have connected to the usb(c) thunderbolt port. 

Thank you for your offer of help.

HP Recommended

@kennuk,

This message usually appears when a system uses a certified bus-powered USB hub (hub power and power for all its ports are coming from a single upstream cable from the host). In this case, the system knows (via hub descriptors) that this is a bus-powered hub, and therefore it must have the natural limits of how much power can be theoretically taken from upstream, and delivered to downstream ports.

Therefore the bus-powered hubs are allowed to allocate only a fraction of power that is normally available from normal ports (500 or 900 mA) and from self-powered hubs (powered from external AC-DC adapters). To prevent the hub upstream port (host downstream) from overloading, USB has a two-step mechanism.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My note book is EliteBook Folio G1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.