Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-DC0085NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) Link is compatible with the HP OMEN 15-DC0085NR? right now my laptop has only a hard drive so I want to install an SDD.

if there are some other recommendations please let me know, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Compatibility does not depend on brand. HP does not put HP M.2 SSDs in its laptops for example. So yes the Samsung will work and the HP would also likely work. It's a matter of specifications. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Yes it will work. Start on p. 34 of the Service Manual here:

Manual 

red arrow points to M.2 slotred arrow points to M.2 slot

On this model opening the back cover to add an M.2 SSD is specifically a customer-authorized procedure so no worries about warranty. Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

so with the samsung SSD I don't have to worry about incompatibilities?

HP disks are by default compatible with hp laptops? for example HP EX920 M.2 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND 

HP Recommended

Compatibility does not depend on brand. HP does not put HP M.2 SSDs in its laptops for example. So yes the Samsung will work and the HP would also likely work. It's a matter of specifications. 

HP Recommended

I Have laptop pavilion 15 cx008nq   Gtx 1050 ti and i7 8750h ,i want to upgrade to a ssd m.2 but i don't know which ones would be compatible, it would be compatible ?

-Kingston A400, 240GB, M.2

-SSD HP EX900 250GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

-Gigabyte M.2 Nvme PCIe SSD 256GB

-XPG SX6000 Lite, 256GB, PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280

HP Recommended

I Have laptop pavilion 15 cx008nq   Gtx 1050 ti and i7 8750h ,i want to upgrade to a ssd m.2 but i don't know which ones would be compatible, it would be compatible ?

-Kingston A400, 240GB, M.2

-SSD HP EX900 250GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280

-Gigabyte M.2 Nvme PCIe SSD 256GB

-XPG SX6000 Lite, 256GB, PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280

HP Recommended

what I've understood so far is that there's no way exactly to know if a SSD is compatible or not unless you test it on your laptop, in my case I decided to buy a samsung SSD based on the reply I got and I want to believe that samsung which is a very popular brand sells more generic products that can be more compatible, I don't install the disk yet but after doing so I can let you know, I will do it in the next days.

In your case I would buy either hp or kingston but you have to make sure if you need m.2 or m.2 nvme because the slot is different and there are some other differences. you can check this link explanation .

HP Recommended

Close but not exactly right. M.2 is M.2. The slots are physically the same whether or not compatible with NVME. We used to have a lot of compatibility issues with 6th gen Intel Core processors and equivalent AMD processors when NVME was first a thing maybe 3 years ago. As each processor new release has occurred compatibility issues have diminished more and more. 

15-cx008nq is fully compatible with either SATA or NVME M.2 SSD. I recommend Samsung Evo 970 Plus but have had success with Adata, WD Black, Toshiba and others on 7th and 8th gen Intel Core models. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.