Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Angela00, 

Did you double-tap the top left corner of the touchpad?

TouchpadOnOff.jpg

HP Recommended

orange light on touchpad is lit and pointer not working. what's wrong?

HP Recommended

Did you try double-tapping the square in the top left corner? See the picture in my previous post. If so, you could also try a Hard Reset or uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. 

Uninstalling and Reinstalling the driver

1. Open Device Manager

2. Expand Mice and other pointing devices

3. Double-click on the item listed there (probably Synaptics)

4. Click on the Driver tab

5. Click the Uninstall button 

6. Restart the computer -- during the restart, Windows will detect the missig driver and reinstall it on its own. Give it a few minutes after the computer comes back on. This often corrects any glitches that can pop up over time.

Let me know if those steps don't work. I'll be glad to help you troubleshoot. If it doesn't work, I'll need your product number and operating system. You can find your product number by pressing FN + ESC. I'll keep an eye out for your reply Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

thanks, I use a mouse so it doesn't affect me, but I notice everything, even a tiny light! lol

HP Recommended

Hi Angela, I had same issue and found solution online. You do not need to reinstall any driver. there are 5 simple steps you need to follow. You can follow beloe link. It solve my issue hope it works for you as well.

http://www.australia-bestmate.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/touchpad-disabled-on-hp-elitebook-laptop.html

HP Recommended

I usually have to knock the touchpad to get it unstuck..... it will get stuck on scroll or stop working completely.

I don't know the purpose for the orange light besides disabling the device, tap twice on the top left and it turns it back on but that is not my issue. My issue is the curser locking up (without the light being on)... and it getting stuck on scrolling up or down. Then, I hit (wap, punch, knock on) the touhpad and it most of the time starts working again properly.

Why does it do this? Is it just a wonky HP product or in the words of Duran Duran, is there something I should know?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if you have found out the problem yet.  The orange light means that your mouse pad has been disabled and you won't be able to use it.  Double tap on the upper left side of your keypad to activate it again and the light should turn off.  I have had this problem before.  Sometimes I accidently turn it on and don't know what it is and can't figure it out then I have to power down the computer to make it work.  I know that there are some post on here that they want you to download a type of program that they said that would help with the problem.  Don't fall for it, it could be a virus and a scam.  I hope that this would help.

HP Recommended

Also, disable the other ones and keep the pad and the problem will go away for good!

HP Recommended

Windows 8 and Pavillon g6...cursor locks up when using my wireless mouse and orange mouse light comes on...there is no toggle...what is up?

HP Recommended

When an external mouse is plugged in, the touchpad is configured, by default, to disable itself. You can change that in the settings though.

1. Press the Windows key + Q to bring up Search

2. Type 'mouse'

3. Click Mouse

4. Click 'ClickPad Settings' tab

5. Uncheck the 'Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached' box

The below picture is an example. Yours probably won't look exactly like this.

Synaptics8.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.