Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Just replace the powersupply. This is the reason.

HP Recommended

I am having this problem on a Pavilioin g7, running Windows 8 (not my computer -- I won't apologise for Win8 🙂 ). 

Computer is now malware free (as per 6 different scanners). I have tried all the suggestions on this thread. I have also changed "what does power button do" to various other options, recycling the computer each time. Nothing is making any difference at all. 

No matter how I shut down the computer (other than doing a hard shutdown -- hold the power button down until it dies), the machine restarts instead of shutting down. 

I have removed the "restart on failure" option.

I have changed / changed-back most of the power related settings

Tap power button, or chose the shutdown click-wise, same behavior

sfc /scannow however, produces some mixed results. As in:

"Windows resource protection found corruptfiles but was unable to fix some of them. Details are in.... [blah blah blah]."

Then I look at the log file but get nothing that is suggestive to me. It's a huge file, and I'm not familiar with the intentions behind most of the statements in it. (Looks like a semester course could be tinkered together on it alone, for pete's sake.)

Anyway, short version: I would prefer not to attempt a restore at this point (not my machine), yet I'm out of ideas, and dubious about a restore affecting this anyway. I'd rather understand why this is happening, than just "sweep it away in the dust."

Any further suggestions?

Phil - at Computer Maestros

Phil -- at Computer Maestros
HP Recommended

How certain are you of this?

I've had bad success rates on replacing power supplies on HP Pavilion laptops. (I run a small computer repair shop; have had a lot of opportunities for this). More than half the time, the replacement part doesn't work, or that wasn't the problem. Hard to tell which. Short version: I tend to tell people (now) not to put that much money back into it, if it won't turn on.

This is powering up just fine. How certain are you it's a power supply issue?

Thanks,

Phil -- at Computer Maestros
HP Recommended

On my DC7600 I went through all the scenarios as mentioned and then found out all I had to do was replace the cmos battery and that corrected the shutdown issue.

HP Recommended

Hi

I have desktop, self assembly, and when win 10 is fresh all is well.  After some of the critical upgrades it goes into a loop and wont shutdown, more loops to a login screen.

Best Solution is HydroChloric acid? or I create a desktop shortcut

c:\shutdown.exe /f /s /t 0

or for some

c:\shutdown.exe -f -s -t 0

You can open a command window and type this to try before creating the shortcut.

It does not solve the problem, but brings a way out I accept.

HP Recommended

I had an HP Elitedesk, suffering from the same issue.  From within Windows 7, if I chose shutdown - it would turn off, then a second later it would start up.

I had updated thye bios and also unchecked the 'on error rest option'

I did discover that if i unplugged the network cable, the system would not restart. If Ithe system was off, and I plugged the network cable in, the system would restart.  If your system act's the same way, this might be an option for you.

The solution for my issue was resolved by going into Deivce Manager and updating the network adapter 'ntel I217-LM' from Driver version 12.13.17.4 (6/18/2015) up to 12.15.22.3 (11/24/2015).  I obtained the driver from Intel's downlaod page.

HP Recommended

Hi

In this case I would visit the BIOS and see if the Wake-on-LAN option was selected.

As to another possible problem with No Shutdown is to disable

Turn on fast start-up

this worked for me another round of updates.

HP Recommended

This was not helpful at all.

I removed battery and AC sourse .. Pressed power button for 30+ seconds and the moment I connected the power source the laptop powered on ...

I am using HP ProBook 4540s | Windows 10 

Please Help

HP Recommended

@EvanL wrote:

On my DC7600 I went through all the scenarios as mentioned and then found out all I had to do was replace the cmos battery and that corrected the shutdown issue.

I have the same issue on my HP DC7900 and your suggestion worked perfectly for me too.

Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

I also have the same issue but only its desktop pc....HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF ( Windows 10 ) when i shutdown machine it reboots within a few seconds or it turns on again a few hours later.

HP Why some of your models have this issue, I own HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-a010  Windows 10 this machine does not have reboot issue after shutdown.

HP help I have a few EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF machines that have this issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.