Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15- an000nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I need help with my Star Wars special edition HP laptop. I have to basically factory reset  my laptop but do not want to lose all the awesome Star Wars stuff that came loaded on the machine.  What are my options?

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Greetings @xXDEADPOOLXx,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to perform a recovery on your computer and do not want to loose Starwars applications bundled with the computer, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

May I know the procedure you are looking to follow to perform recovery?

Are you facing any issues with the computer?

Recommend you backup your data on the computer on any external storage device before you perform recovery.

Run a system test on your computer to make sure all the components are working fine. Click here

There are 2 ways to perform recovery the computer. 

One by using the HP Recovery Manager available on the computer. 

The other option is to use the recovery kit created on the computer. 

If you perform a factory reset on the computer using the Recovery Manager on your computer, all the applications bundled with the computer will be installed automatically. 

For assistance in creating a recovery media or in performing a recovery on the computer, please refer to this HP Article

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Long story short I received the computer as a gift from a friend who had already been using it. I would like to factory reset it so that it is like it just came out of the box for me. My biggest concern is making sure all the star wars stuff stays or gets installed again because that stuff is amazing.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, If you have not deleted the recovery partition and if you perform recovery using the recovery manager installed on the computer, the StarWars bundled package will be reinstalled when you perform recovery on the computer. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So unfortunately that didn't work for my current situation. I was able to find the recovery assistant that came with the system the issue that I am running into is that I need administrator privledges to intiate the program. Is there another option? The tech support person I spoke with from microsoft said I would have to reinstall windows then get the BIOS for my computer from you guys at HP for all the preloaded Star Wars stuff. Is there no other way?

HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83 (That's 83 Chimney's in one man and yes, he smokes 😛 ) but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

(I would expect Deadpool to write a lot, but that depends on whether you are "The Deadpool" or a Deadpool fan, unless there are other Deadpool's I'm not aware of 😉 in which case I should stop writing, right about now! ).

So, back to the topic, it is unfortunate that didn't work out as it was intended to, 

Nevertheless, there's always another way and this is where you need to go: Click here (how to obtain recovery media)

Obtain one if you haven't created one after purchase, run the recovery media using these instructions: Click here

And you'll be all set.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

"My common sense is tingling." 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well  Riddle_Decipher I sure hope that you can solve this little situation I'm in. Thanks for the speedy (and witty) response. As to the Deadpool thing, who's to say, but there's a box of chimichangas with your name on it if you can solve my computer woes.  I tried your suggested solution but I fear I ran into the same problem I always do. Not having admin privledges. Without that I am unable to even update or fix anything on my computer. It is extremely frustrating. When I was working with Microsoft tech support we tried to delete the other accounts but even that didn't work. You have quite the riddle on your hands my friend.  

HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

A box full of chimichangas! I'm touched (in a good way) 😛

Thank you for replying.

Did you happen to check my links, the once I had provided previously?

I recommend you get one of those recovery discs/USB's and run them on your PC, unlike what the Microsoft tech support had suggested, this little step would help you backup any important data into an external source and then reset the PC back to factory defaults with all the star wars content, automatically,

while you sit down with a box of popcorn or Chimichangas (whichever you prefer) and enjoy the show 😉

Deadpool and StarWars, now that is an epic combo 😉

Looking forward to your reply.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for all your help Riddle_Decipher. I tried the steps that you provided. As far as creating a system restore, I'm not too concerned with that. What little I was able to install on here I can easily do again. As for the HP System Recovery, I am unable to run that program without administrator privileges.

HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

Thank you for replying,

And Let me get this straight - You've used this link to order/create a recovery media and then used the same to reinstall windows but you couldn't proceed due to insufficient "Administrator privileges", what!? Smiley Surprised 😛

Normally, the recovery manager would not require any administrative privileges as it would overwrite the windows by removing it from the PC and installing a fresh copy back on it if you haven't followed the second link I had shared, this is what I am referring to:

If you received HP recovery media from HP, use this section to recover your computer. Insert the media and use the following instructions.

1. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

2. Insert the recovery media (USB Drive, CD/DVD) and then turn off the computer.

3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the Esc (escape) key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens

4. Press F9 to open Boot Device Options

menu.

5. Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive or USB drive, and then press Enter.
     NOTE:
    If you are using recovery media supplied by HP, a black window opens asking you to Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD..... This screen will only appear for 3-4 seconds and if no key is pressed the system will boot normally into windows. You will have to repeat the steps in order to boot from the CD/DVD recovery media.

6. Select the language, The option should be Factory Reset. Click Next.

7. On the Welcome page, click Next.

8. To recover your system without backing up your files, the files should already be backed up and saved.

To continue, if you have backed up your files, click Recover without backing up your files, otherwise click Back up your files first (recommended).

9. Prepare the computer for recovery, 

After all files are copied to the hard drive, on the Factory Image preparations screen, you are asked if you have received a Supplemental Recovery Disc.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS (look under performing system recovery > using HP Supplied recovery media)

And if this is exactly what you did and yet the issue persists, please run a hardware test on your hard drive using the HP Diagnostics tool: Click here for details and get back to me with the results of the extensive hard drive test.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.