Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion B&O
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I was prompted to do a Bios Update on my laptop, it downloaded ok and went on with a message stating the restart will take a few minutes, I waited the screen was black and the fan was going, I left it and left it and for nearly an hour nothing happened, the laptop was stuck in this mode and now I do not have my laptop any longer, I am so cross and angry with HP for sending this update without checking what it would be fine to run on my laptop, all my work and personal information has been lost, all my important sites and everything and now I cannot contact HP customer services or technical support to ask for further information on how to repair and get my laptop information back, I have tried again to switch it off and nothing happens, it has frozen in this state, I paid alot of money for my laptop, there has been nothing wrong with it and it is just out of warranty by a few months, can anyone please help me I am completely lost what to do and who to contact and extremely upset and cross with HP for prompting me to do this update and not ensuring my laptop would be ok to accept it and cause this horrendous issue to me, I blame them totally for this upset and now I need help, please advise anyone. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you the issue resolved itself, once I switched it back on after two days being off the laptop came back on went through regular log in and all ok nothing corrupted thank you for your help, case closed 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Iain1959

I would guess that you found the BIOS update in HP Support Assistant.

If the Assistant downloaded and started the BIOS update,

If the BIOS update is indeed the correct Update for your computer,

then it is possible the only problem is that the BIOS update could not complete.

The following MIGHT resolve the issue of "stuck" update.

“Press and Pray” 

IF the BIOS update is just stuck / stubborn / frozen-in-place half way through the update / boot process,

IF there is not actually anything wrong with the windows installation or the File System,

The following procedure might resolve the issue.

1. Unplug everything, including power and all other externally connected components
  2. Press and hold down the power button for forty (40) seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Plug in only basic components –
  • Desktop:  Power, wired mouse and keyboard, HDMI to monitor (monitor is powered on)
  • Notebook:  Connect AC Power

1. Switch on the system with power button - Click power and release (as for normal boot)

Hoped for Results:

• System switches on, monitor active, mouse and keyboard responsive
  • Screen shows the BIOS update window with choices:  cancel / update
  • Wait several seconds ..stare at it and contemplate actions.. (In at least one case, never needed to click "update" -- system continued on its own after about 10-20 seconds)
  • BIOS update continues on its own, completes, and reboots the system

When the system reboots,

1. Log in
  2. Connect LAN (Ethernet)
  3. Connect other components (USB, external webcam, speakers...)
  4. General housekeeping (checks, more staring at it)
  5. Pour an adult beverage and consider what's important in life

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, the only issue I have is the battery has run out, I then retore the power and it stays on the same issue, all that happens is the fan is running constantly once there is power and the screen is black,  I am unable to access the laptop, it is appearing not to be able to achieve anything more, I have held the power button down for longer periods than 40 seconds and still it does not reset, switch off or anything happen, it is completely stuck at that point, I have not had any issues at all with my laptop and there appears to be no reason for this I know of, how do I contact HP to advise them that it is not a hardware issue but their software download that has caused this, it is where my frustration is currently, I understand the warranty is out of date only just (Sept 2018), but it is down to their software BIOS update and not me or my laptop hardware, can anyone assist me to advise what to do or how to contact HP direct for them to repair this update BIOS issue not just for me but so it does not happen to others, I literally have everything on my laptop and am totally not able to carry on living, work and personal, thanks.

HP Recommended

@Iain1959

Well, I don't know.

You should not update the BIOS while the system is running on Battery.    The machine should always (only) be connected to AC power during the entire BIOS update process.  Not doing so could, if the batteries dies during the update, destroy your notebook's BIOS.

If the battery is bad, that is going to compromise the boot process.

I have asked that someone take a look.

If there is a response, you will hear back on this thread before anyone contacts you using other methods.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you the issue resolved itself, once I switched it back on after two days being off the laptop came back on went through regular log in and all ok nothing corrupted thank you for your help, case closed 

HP Recommended

@Iain1959

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Iain1959

Excellent.  It does sound like the BIOS update was just stuck.  A forced boot (press and pray) usually sorts this at first or second try.

For those reading:

Keep the details of the Press and Pray procedure handy.  These are not my wanderings of the mind.  Although I have given a "cute" name of the process, this is an actual procedure used to help untangle a variety of weird stuck / boot issues.  The original source for the basic information is HP.

Commentary

HPSA and the BIOS Update

I would suggest that should you ever see another suggestion for BIOS update within the HPSA, that you decline having the HPSA do the installation.

BIOS update requires an internal "no boot" option flag when / if the BIOS is updated (along) with other software.  I know that the business class update software (SDM) is aware of this and indeed handles the necessary options.  I am not sure how the HPSA is handling the option to be aware (and stay out of the way) of other updates.  Additionally, I am not positive that HPSA is aware of the requirement for AC power to be connected.   Recent versions of HPSA are much improved over previous versions and the options that I mention may indeed be included in the latest HPSA version.

My Unsolicited Advice

Always check / manage / update the BIOS manually.  Only update the BIOS after other Updates (including Windows Updates) are installed and the computer has then been Restarted.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you again 👍🏻😊

HP Recommended

Thank you for you’re message it is much appreciated 😊

HP Recommended

I believe exactly the same thing happened to mine. Also only 21 months old and fit for the bin. Hp want payment of £200 for repair without data recovery. Scandalous! £350 down the drain. Old laptop - not hp - fires after up 13 years!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.