Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7 2325dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
My hard drive died and it needed replacement. Did so. Had originally been Windows8 but upgraded to Windows 10. Unable to re boot with reinstall disks. Need BIOS boot specs, screen info to use disks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Bettyboophume, 

No worries! If you have recovery media, you should be able to put it in and have the Notebook pick up on it. However, just in case that is not happening for you, there is a document called Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

The boot order can be configured on the Advanced tab in the BIOS settings menu. The steps for modifying the boot order may vary depending on the model of the computer.

In the HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide, on page 90, Chapter 7, Backing up, restoring, and recovering (Windows 😎 you will see that it says: 

Changing the computer boot order If computer does not restart in HP Recovery Manager, you can change the computer boot order, which is the order of devices listed in BIOS where the computer looks for startup information. You can change the selection for an optical drive or a USB flash drive.

To change the boot order:

1. Insert the HP Recovery media you created.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Press and hold esc while the computer is restarting, and then press f9 for boot options.

4. Select the optical drive or USB flash drive you want to boot from.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope that this helps! 

Let me know how this goes 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @Bettyboophume

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 

I understand that you put a new hard drive into your HP Pavilion g7-2325dx Notebook PC but you are unable to re boot with your reinstall media.

Are you trying to do a Factory reset using media you created?

Are you trying to do a System recovery using HP supplied recovery media?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Have you tried to Restore the BIOS since you had put in the new hard drive?

What exactly do you mean by you need BIOS boot specs?

What are the specifications of the new hard drive?

You may need a DVD - Windows 8 64b Recovery Kit, please use the Order Media link to purchase them from HP. 

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to help! Please just re-post with the information required from above. Please let me know the detailed results of the troubleshooting steps provided.

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking the appropriate post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below. 

Thank you! 

Have a wonderful day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended
So sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to ask if needed to change any of the "boot options" in the BIOS menu.
HP Recommended

Hey Bettyboophume, 

No worries! If you have recovery media, you should be able to put it in and have the Notebook pick up on it. However, just in case that is not happening for you, there is a document called Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

The boot order can be configured on the Advanced tab in the BIOS settings menu. The steps for modifying the boot order may vary depending on the model of the computer.

In the HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide, on page 90, Chapter 7, Backing up, restoring, and recovering (Windows 😎 you will see that it says: 

Changing the computer boot order If computer does not restart in HP Recovery Manager, you can change the computer boot order, which is the order of devices listed in BIOS where the computer looks for startup information. You can change the selection for an optical drive or a USB flash drive.

To change the boot order:

1. Insert the HP Recovery media you created.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Press and hold esc while the computer is restarting, and then press f9 for boot options.

4. Select the optical drive or USB flash drive you want to boot from.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope that this helps! 

Let me know how this goes 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thanks for the help. I needed to disable secure boot and made sure that the DVD/ROM drive was primary. I also redid the Windows 8 disc checking that ALL files needed were downloaded prior to burning to disc as ISO and then verified. With this new disc and changes to the boot order it worked!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.