Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-fq0xxx
Microsoft Windows 11

My new laptop came with Windows 11 in S Mode. I turned off S mode in order to run Chrome, Firefox and other software that is not available in the Microsoft Store but first I updated the bios from the HP site.

While I was initially able to take the laptop out of S Mode, after the bios update the laptop reverted to S Mode, and is now stays locked into S Mode. 

I tried a solution that was posted here a couple of years ago and must only deal with Windows 10 S Mode. The solution suggests resetting the Store, which does not work.  Am I stuck with S Mode now..which will mean I will return the laptop, or is there a solution to this OTHER THAN resetting the Store.?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

The official documentation from Microsoft:

Switching out of S mode in Windows

Please report your results

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I tried this multiple times and it says "working on it" for hours.  

I have reset the store with the Store UI and the command line - neither corrected the problem.

It seems that the bios update causes S Mode to revert and be locked.  

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

(1) Test your hardware Using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

--->>> Perform <all> tests

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2854458-2733239-16

See section <Running HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tests when Windows doesn't start>

See how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GKIpGPNRM

(2) Please report your results ( error messages, take pictures )

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, because the computer is LOCKED IN S MODE, I am not permitted to download and install the diagnostic tool

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Just run the <HP Diagnostics UEFI> at boot time (it is operating system independent) and it is already installed.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I ran both the fast and thorough system tests. Both report that everything is OK with the hardware.

The built in diagnostics report that there is a new version, however it is not possible to get it because the Store will not permit a download and I can’t turn off S Mode.

I considered trying to roll back the bios to the one that was on the laptop when I got it. It makes no sense to do that as a trial and error, though. Are we able to confirm an issue with the latest bios, or is the issue that any and every bios update breaks the S MODE as other posts suggest?

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Repair Windows

(1) Open cmd.exe (right click) as administrator and execute:

sfc  /scannow

(2) Reboot 

(3) Open cmd.exe (right click) as administrator and execute:

msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(4) Reboot 

(5) Please report your results

HP Recommended

When I attempt to run CMD, I receive the same message..

The blue box says what it always does when attempting to run anything that is not a store app…it tells me how, which is to open the store app and click Get. I have done this at least 5 times now, and the system just hangs on that screen showing “working on it”

HP Recommended

Ok..I was able to download Powershell from the store. I am permitted to run powershell from S Mode, so I’m doing the tests in powershell. FYI..this is. The only way I am able to get to a Command prompt as an Administrator if Window is locked in S Mode.

Results of test 1 was successful..” no integrity violations”. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.