Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hello.
I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 and run Windows Visa Home Edition.

I wanted to restore my laptop to its factory settings but the Recovery Manager wouldn't work. When I clicked on it it would just restart the computer without anything else happening. I then right clicked on the computer >manage> disk manager and made the recovery partition active. When I rebooted the computer it began showing:
Bootmgr is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Which of course leads back to the same message after te computer reboots. I can't access F8 key. Only F10 (Bios) works. I don't have a recovery or installation CD as it didn't come with the laptop when I purchased it.
Is there anyway I can change the active partition back to the C drive, this disabling the recovery partition? I read that it was possible to access disk manager from cmd prompt window, but I don't know how to access it since the F8 key won't work (makes just a bipping noise when pressed)?
I am also out of the country so can't mail my laptop to HP to have it fixed. Any ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Scroll down on the page and get> Bootable CD ISO and> ImgBurn to burn the iso image to cd-a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here. Once created, boot from it and use to change active partition.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Scroll down on the page and get> Bootable CD ISO and> ImgBurn to burn the iso image to cd-a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here. Once created, boot from it and use to change active partition.

HP Recommended

If you get back into Vista ,burn your Recovery DVD set. The instructions here are for Win 7 machines but same basic process for Vista:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867124

HP Recommended
Ok thanks. Will try this tomorrow or Monday and get back to you.
HP Recommended
I have a question: can I just mount the ISO on a USB key or external HD instead of burning onto a CD? Will the computer be able to read from there?
HP Recommended

You will need to create a bootable flash drive using the ISO.Do some research on creating a bootable flash drive from ISO file.

HP Recommended

Thank You! It worked like a charm. I don't know why the CD i created didn't boot, but when I made a bootable flash drive it went smoothly. Anyway, thanks again for your help, you've made my day 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome! Don't forget to burn your Recovery DVD set. Instructions here are for Win 7 machines but same process for Vista:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867124

HP Recommended

Hey Cheryl,

I booted from the CD and I activated Partition C, but when it restarted, it says:
Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or soft ware change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1.  Insert your Windows Installation disc and restart your computer.

2.  Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3.  Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File:  \Boot\BCD

Info:  An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

ENTER=Continue                                                                                                                                                                                 ESC=Exit

And I don't have the installation disc. What should I do?

HP Recommended

Hello TunaCutter,

I see that you are having start up problems with your computer. I have a couple of suggestions that may help with this issue.

I would try accessing the recovery manager. To do this tap the "F11" key as soon as you start up the computer.

If you are able to access the recovery manager you can try and do a Microsoft system restore. 

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.