Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
2000 notebook

I have a HP 2000 running Windows 8 (do not know if 32 or 64 bit). A while ago I encountered a bootup issue which seems to be similar to the one posted on 08-21-2014 entiteled "I have a hp2000-2b19wm . . . .". The system boots until it gets to my home screen, then it is totally unresponsive. It has the feeling that there are lots of things running in the backgorund such that the drive is completely tied up. I have a message lower right that updates are available, which I can believe since it has been a couple months since I last updated.

I tried on my own to do a safe mode boot using F8 but that was ineffective; just kept doing a regular full boot. I would like to read the solution regarding Windows 8 Safe Mode boot given in the above referenced post; however, the link does not take me to a document, just to the general HP support page.

Is using F8 the proper way to get into Safe Mode bootup, or does it sound like I have some other issue?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jsfrisbie,

The Failure ID: 6BX09G-6BA84A-MFGK0K-60RU03 is a hard driver error.

You can replace the hard drive youself.  Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide page 47.

If not sure can do yourself, please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @jsfrisbie,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the computer not booting. I will be glad to help you.

Here are some documents to help.

Computer Does Not Start (Windows 😎

Computer Locks Up or Freezes (Windows 10, 😎

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.

I began with the "Computer does not start" document. Performed Hard Reset, was able to get into Windows 8 to my home screen but the computer was still unresponsive; therefore I was not able to install updates.

Nonetheless, I continued to System Extensive Test, ran Full Test and shortly into it received the message that the test failed due to Hard Drive Short DST Test failure. I then ran a Quick Test and passed, although with the note "Software Error" on Hard Drive Short DST Test. I then re-ran Full Test, gtting the same results as the initial Full Test.

Failure ID: 6BX09G-6BA84A-MFGK0K-60RU03.

At this point I did not investigate the "Computer locks up or freezes" since the hard drive test failed.

Is the hard drive bad?  Should I perform the "Computer locks up or freezes" steps?

HP Recommended

@jsfrisbie,

The Failure ID: 6BX09G-6BA84A-MFGK0K-60RU03 is a hard driver error.

You can replace the hard drive youself.  Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide page 47.

If not sure can do yourself, please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am getting ready to purchase a replacement hard drive and Windows OS. Since I am not able to access any info on my laptop, how do I determine whether it is 32- or 64-bit? I cannot locate the original purchase paperwork.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @jsfrisbie,

Per the HP 2000-2b19WM Notebook PC Product Specifications, this computer was sold with Windows 8 64 bit.

Hope this answer your questions. Fell free to post any question on the forum.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.