Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq cq58

Compaq CQ58

Hi

when turning on I get

Boot device not found

Please install operating system on your hard disc.

Hard disc (3f0)

f2...........................

visit hp.com.......................

And nothing else

So I do the F2 as follows:

UEFI   V 1.6.0.0 - BIOS

visit...................

Memory test..............passed
HD disc check............passed

I Go to f10

>F9 load setup defaults >yes>f10 save and exit>yes

No Improvement although there's life in there cos the disc or fan is spinning

I think the next step is redo whole os from usb

Can't find links suggested for reboot on HP site- they go absolutely nowhere, useless.

This is my son's laptop

he loaded windows 10

was windows 8

don't know what he did but he says it worked on 10 for a while.

Why do microsoft allow minors to mess it up so bad? Anyway....

I don't know if it will want to restore as windows8 or 10

I don't know if it is 32bit or 64bit anyway

Does any of the f10 tell us which.......

third line up suggests still windows 8 ?????

Here is camera grab of f10

P1000548.JPG

Any Ideas

No tellings off. No shutting of stable doors once the horse has bolted.

Just useful suggestions and ways forward please.

Much thanks.

Regards

Dad of Wilf:smileyfrustrated:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It doesn't matter if the upgrade was from 8 - as long as Windows 10 activated successfully, you can use the 'clean installation' method.

It's possible that if the machine had just been 'refreshed', the hard shutdown interrupted system files being updated and this can lead to this sort of issue.

Generally, a clean installation of Windows 10 has less problems/performance issues than the upgrading from a previous version of Windows.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

As long as the existing installation of Windows 10 activated ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation of 10 as detailed in the guide on the following link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Okay thanks DP-K

We'll have a look right now.

TX

HP Recommended

Ps

It was windows 8 not 8.1 before

Does that make any difference?

TX

HP Recommended

Wilf has come back now and now he says he did a "refresh pc without affecting your files" thing in update and recovery because he thought it was running slowly.

He did not do the factory reset.

He used it for a bit in the same session and after a while maybe an hour it froze.

He waited a bit then hit the Off button (physical button not screen click).

It was the next turning on that this boot problem showed.

If that makes no difference to your diagnosis then please let me know and I'll proceed.

Thanks

TX

HP Recommended

Hi,

It doesn't matter if the upgrade was from 8 - as long as Windows 10 activated successfully, you can use the 'clean installation' method.

It's possible that if the machine had just been 'refreshed', the hard shutdown interrupted system files being updated and this can lead to this sort of issue.

Generally, a clean installation of Windows 10 has less problems/performance issues than the upgrading from a previous version of Windows.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David that worked a treat once he got home to urban bandwidth.

I'm on 5GB month dongle - only way to doi it.

I broke a rule by posting camera shot of f10.

They sent me an email to advise.

Don't know what was on there they're sensitive about - no reply email auto type thing - ????

So I'll now break another rule with glee and shout shout shout from the rooftops......

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR KIND HELP. VERY BIG THUMBS UP!!

Kindest regards,

Dadofhappywilf.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

Possibly the f10 screen shot displayed the Serial No. but I'm just guessing here.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K

I have had a similar issue and a regretful one at that.  My daughter moved from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 after the nagging advert got on her nerves and without discussion upgraded to Windows 10 only to have problems as soon as Windows 10 ran an update.   She then waited for some considerable time before I found out.  Time enough for the 30 days to return back to Windows 8!!!  I found out by accident when she borrowed my wife's work laptop!

Long story short now.  I have checked the HP web site and found that this laptop (Compaq CQ58-253SA) has no it been checked by HP for compatibility to Windows 10.  After some investigation by Microsoft they said that there was nothing the could do and that it was a third party driver issue!  Thanks Microsoft.  I don't have the OS back disks nor do I have access to support as that ran out sometime ago. So I'm stuck.  I'm going to follow the advice you have provided re. Howtogeek and hop it helps but currently and without notification the laptop goes to a blue screen "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (NETIO.SYS)" it then reboots and I can login but sometime down the line it will go to blue screen.  But first I'm going to try your recommendation on the Howtogeek.com. Should you have anything further to offer I'd be all 'ears'

Kind regards

HP Recommended

@Buddh4

It's definetely worth trying a clean installation of 10 as this is often far less problematic than performing an 'In Place' upgrade from a previous operating system.

IAdditionally, as long as the previous upgrade to Windows 10 had activated Ok, then a hardware profile of your notebook is saved by the activation servers.  Therefore, you should choose the option 'I don't have a Product key' when it appears - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.