Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 15-n077so
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I think one of my children happend to step on my computer. So now it's black and want me to install a operative system. I used to have windows 10. It also tells me that: SMART Check: Not Installed, Long DST: Not Installed. My question is:

1. Cant I save my computor and reinstall windows 10 somehow.

2. The screen is black, how can I reach the reinstallation button?

3. I have no dvd with Windows 10.

4. Is there any chance to wake my computer up??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Eubj

Sorry, but we have no access to your PC, so we have no way of knowing what damage was done, and have (as a result) no way to answer your question of how salvageable it is.

We need to know if your PC came with Win10 preinstalled or if you upgraded it from a prior OS, and if so, the version of the prior OS.

All we can do from here is provide some troubleshooting steps you can take.

First thing I would do is try to follow these directions to confirm the hard drive is OK: Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

If the hard drive failed, you would have to replace it and order HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to working conditions, and until you have that done, there is little value in testing anything else.

If the hard drive did not fail, here are some troubleshooting steps you should try:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Customer Support

Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot | HP® Customer Support

In terms of Win10 install media, you can make a DVD or USB stick from this link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

NOTE: Be sure to select the SAME version of Win10 that was running on your PC.  When downloading from the original PC, the tool knows what version to select, but since you'll be downloading using a different PC, it has no way of knowing that.  IF you download a different version, it will NOT activate.

If you're not able to run ANY diagnostics because you can't wake the laptop, then your only recourse will be to send or take it to an HP Service Center to have them troubleshoot it -- and it the laptop is not under warranty, that can be very expensive!

Here's information on the Service Centers: HP Notebook PCs - Using a Certified HP Service Center to Repair a Notebook PC | HP® Customer Support

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Eubj

Sorry, but we have no access to your PC, so we have no way of knowing what damage was done, and have (as a result) no way to answer your question of how salvageable it is.

We need to know if your PC came with Win10 preinstalled or if you upgraded it from a prior OS, and if so, the version of the prior OS.

All we can do from here is provide some troubleshooting steps you can take.

First thing I would do is try to follow these directions to confirm the hard drive is OK: Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

If the hard drive failed, you would have to replace it and order HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to working conditions, and until you have that done, there is little value in testing anything else.

If the hard drive did not fail, here are some troubleshooting steps you should try:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Customer Support

Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot | HP® Customer Support

In terms of Win10 install media, you can make a DVD or USB stick from this link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

NOTE: Be sure to select the SAME version of Win10 that was running on your PC.  When downloading from the original PC, the tool knows what version to select, but since you'll be downloading using a different PC, it has no way of knowing that.  IF you download a different version, it will NOT activate.

If you're not able to run ANY diagnostics because you can't wake the laptop, then your only recourse will be to send or take it to an HP Service Center to have them troubleshoot it -- and it the laptop is not under warranty, that can be very expensive!

Here's information on the Service Centers: HP Notebook PCs - Using a Certified HP Service Center to Repair a Notebook PC | HP® Customer Support

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.