Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP Support Assistant with automatic update download and install enabled. Yesterday, a popup dialog appeared on the lower left corner of the desktop (presumably by HP related software, judging from the color scheme used, which is similar to HP Support Assistant) prompting me to restart the computer for update.

Little did I know that it was going to update the BIOS! I have BitLocker enabled, and this would've bricked my PC!

Luckily I managed to postpone the update because the BIOS update screen had a 10-second countdown timer.

The next time I logged in, I immediately opened up HP Support Assistant and confirmed that there was indeed a BIOS update. I proceeded to install it manually from the Assistant, but this time there was an installation dialog, and it warned about my BitLocker being active.

My questions:

1. Was the automatic BIOS update done by HP Support Assistant?
  2. If it was automatic, why wasn't there any confirmation about my BitLocker status? Does it automatically disable BitLocker in case of automatic update?
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@syukri_ncs

The HP Support Assistant is NOT the best tool for the job of updating the BIOS.  Even without the bitlocker business, the HPSA is not a BIOS update program.  Personal opinion based on personal experience.

I have HPSA set to notify (NO automatic updates).   

I don't like drivers sneaking up on me.  Bad enough that Windows Updates are always lurking around.  Smiling.

Alternative for you..

Business grade computers can Softpaq Download Manager.

You might like this tool better.  Is it smart enough to know about the bitlocker?  Unknown.  

Business computers can make use of HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM)

SDM version - At this writing:

sp87158

04/20/2018

Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

sp87158.exe

-

How-to and Instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Using HP SoftPaq Download Manager

Business Systems - Client Management Solutions (software management)

Reference

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook 840 G4 Notebook PC

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.