Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 845 14 inch G9 Notebook PC (544M1AV)
Linux

I just received a brand new EliteBook 845 G9 that shipped with a BIOS version from April. I did install Linux on it right away (Arch Linux, kernel 5.19.8), but everything worked 100% out of the box. I checked the BIOS updates and noticed the latest release had some security fixes, so I updated to the only available one from the software site, v.01.02.01 Rev.A from August 19, 2022. This update is causing all sorts of USB and PCI bus errors that are not recoverable. Any manner or reset or settings changes haven't fixed anything.

I need that original BIOS that the system shipped with, I don't know the exact revision number, but it was dated some time in April of 2022. My system is practically unusable with the current available BIOS. I have tried accessing the HP public FTP to search for older revisions, but am unable to connect.

[Update]

I was able to check for available platform Softpaqs using the CMSL, but still the only system BIOS/Firmware available for the 845 G9 is the 01.02.01 Rev.A version from 08/19/2022. Either the 01.02.01 Rev.A BIOS needs to be fixed, or the factory BIOS that the system shipped with needs to be made available.

[Update 2]

BIOS/Firmware version 01.01.12 is the last working version, and is not available anywhere as far as I can tell.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. Running Arch Linux 5.19.10 and everything worked fine. I updated the BIOS to v01.02.01 Rev. A and getting USB and PCIe errors. Error persist with all USB disabled in BIOS and across live-boot Linux.

HP Recommended

I was able to find someone who still had the 01.01.12 BIOS Softpaq... unfortunately the downgrade is blocked, I'm assuming by PSP.

For what it's worth, my Fedora 36 Live USB (Kernel 5.17.5) works just fine, so I backed up my Arch partition and installed Fedora 36 over it. So far it's pretty stable and not spamming the journal with bus errors. Probably have to wait for either another BIOS update from HP, or a kernel update to go back to Arch.

I've been meaning to try out Gnome 42 anyway...

HP Recommended

I’m glad for you that Fedora doesn’t exhibit the issue. I opened a ticket with HP‘s support yesterday and am waiting for a reply now. In the mean time I would like to try downgrading the BIOS a run for myself.

@Eunichron Could you send me the softpaq somehow or maybe upload it somewhere?

HP Recommended

Guys, sorry to have to break it to you but you're wasting your time. This has been discussed thoroughly after pushed BIOS updates of spectre/meltdown and plundervolt. HP locks their systems pretty tight, you need an external flasher for this. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-830-G5-Cannot-downgrade-BIOS-after-upg... 

This is why most of us completely disable BIOS updates (from bios options).......

- I have tried accessing the HP public FTP to search for older revisions, but am unable to connect.

You can access this ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/ for all softpaqs but not with all browsers....

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/SoftPaq-ftp-site/td-p/8274160

HP Recommended

There is a post on the Chinese HP community about a 845g9 downgraded successfully to previous BIOS due to problems, but it is google translate (I don't speak Mandarin) and there are very few details. Perhaps you can ask (with translate obviously)...

https://h30471.www3.hp.com/t5/bi-ji-ben-dian-nao/geng-xin-zui-xinbios-dao-zhi-wu-fa-shi-yongtypec-ku... 

HP Recommended

I don't speak Mandarin either, so difficult to tell through Translate exactly what the scenario is. However, I have tried the BIOS Recovery (Win+B) method, and it didn't work for my machine.

I can verify now that other distros, including Manjaro, which is Arch based, do work as long as the kernel is new enough to support the hardware. I was able to boot live images and successfully install Fedora, Pop!_OS (Ubuntu based), and Manjaro. Fedora and Pop!_OS exhibit some weird behavior where they always boot up with WiFi in Airplane mode. Turning off WiFi via the FN hotkey works just fine.

The Manjaro live image uses an older kernel that doesn't include the firmware for the Qualcomm WiFi, but I was able to install it to hardware using the live USB packages, and then manually install kernel 5.19.10 from the Arch repositories to get WiFi working, and it's now working 100% after updating the packages.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the WiFi firmware that vanilla Arch doesn't agree with. Either a missing module, or a broken config somewhere. I would love to go back to vanilla Arch, but for the time being it looks like it's either going to take a new ROM update from HP, or a fix from Arch to rectify it.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the double post.

I narrowed down the issues to what I suspect is the hp_wmi module. I was able to boot the Arch live USB by unloading it, and restored to at least a semi-working system by blacklisting it in initramfs. It's not elegant by any means, but it is working for the time being.

HP Recommended

Sorry I'm late to the party. First of all, thank @Eunichron for providing the Softpaq. Sadly, I was unable to install it - the Windows+B (or V) button works on my machine. Strangely, I was unable to load the "Update BIOS using local media" option in the BIOS itself. My laptop just restarts and doesn't show the update menu at all.

But, blacklisting the hp_wmi module worked for me too. Both Wifi and Bluetooth are now functioning. Though, this cannot be a permanent solution, it makes the machine usable without the need of reinstalling. Thanks Eunichron.

HP Recommended

Hello Eunichron. So we both do NOT speak mandarin! 🙂

Anyways, what I got from the post is that the user downgraded successfully cause the August BIOS had issues. However, there were residual problems from the (undone) upgrade, and a HP employee offered the Win+B method to "reset" the already done downgrade, in effect resetting the original BIOS. 

It is surprising though cause as I posted earlier, if HP blocks a BIOS downgrade, it's blocked. Win+B has been tried, everything has been tried. I'm glad you found a workaround for your distros. I'd still contact HP support to let them know about the bugs (I know nobody cares about Linux, but still) and wait for the next BIOS revision (hopefully less bugs)..... By the way, you should refrain from jumping on the whole "update right now BIOS" bandwagon. Especially ever since HP got into bed with Microsoft on that matter (as well) https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07009542 there have been all sorts of issues.

These are not good times for everything to be uptodate....... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.