Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 13 X360 PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Product Number: K1K07EA#ABU

Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]

How do I get a revovery image on a USB when I can't access my laptop to get the image?

Can I download Recovery Manager on an old laptop?

All tests pass not sure what happened, let me know if any other information is needed.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

This happens because your machine shipped with 8.1, so will have no specific drivers for 8

When you are on the page displaying 'No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system. Please make a different selection', do you see an Edit option to the right - if you do, click this and select Windows 8.1 as the OS - most of the drivers should work for 8.  As long as you have install the LAN or WLAN driver, just go through the Win 8 updates until the 8.1 upgrade is offered, apply this and then install  the rest of the drivers.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you.

It looks like you are not able to Boot into the Operating System on your Notebook.

We will surely assist you with this.

Originally the Notebook will have the Recovery Partition and that would give you an option to create a set of Recovery Disk. If you have not created those Recovery Disks when the Notebook was in working condition we cannot do that right now

As of now if you need to recover your Notebook with the new Operating System you can check if the Recovery Partition

is in a working condition or not, If yes you can easily recover/restore your Notebook

If Recovery Partition is corrupted

You need to call HP Technical Support and request for a set of Recovery Disks , So you can recover/restore your Notebook at the earliest

OR

You need call up Microsoft and purchase an Operating System with the License Key, So you can recover/restore your Notebook at the earliest

I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance without any delay

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL 84

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

HP Recommended

How do I check if the recovery partition is available to use?

All drives come up good in the test.

HP Recommended

Restart the unit and keep tapping F11 key repeatedly during the start up.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL 84

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

HP Recommended

Hi there,

That would only bring back the error screen. I have downloaded a recovery from online and have been able to navigate my way to the commande prompt. Refresh, repair etc won't work.

Refresh says the drive is locked.

When I do a diskpart and list volume I can see my Windows drive (909GB) but it has a status of hiddena and no drive letter assigned to it.

When I try to select it it says the disk is not valid.

Any ideas how to unhide/assign/unlock it? Id really rather not lose everything on it.

Thanks guys for your replies.

HP Recommended

Anybody with any ideas on this?

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have access to a 'retail' installation usb flash drive, you could try the following.

Boot from your Windows 8 flash drive and then select the ‘Repair’ option.

Open the Advanced options and then select the Command Prompt.

Type Diskpart and hit enter.

When this loads, type list disk and hit enter

Assuming your installation is on disk 0

Type select disk 0 and hit enter.

Type list volume and hit enter.

Look for the small efi partition ( it will be formatted as FAT32 ) and select it – ie if it’s listed as Volume 3 then type:

Select volume 3 and hit enter.

Next, assign it a drive letter by typing:

assign letter=b: then hit enter.

Then type exit and hit enter.

Then enter the following commands, hitting enter after each entry.

cd /d b:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\

bootrec /fixboot

ren BCD BCD.bak

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-gb /s b: /f ALL

Restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The problem with the above solution is that the "C: Windows Partition" is the one that is hidden.

Any ideas on how to unhide that?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just so that I'm clear on this, were you able to mount and write to the efi partition?

Onr thing I'd suggest, if you have access to an external enclosure, would be to place the HDD in this and then see if you can access it via another PC, just to check that the file structure of the Windows partition is still intact - this may also give you the oportunity, if the files are readable, to make a back-up of your personal data etc.

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I was able to write to the efi partition.
Restarted the notebook but it was no different, back to the blue screen. Did I miss something?

At this stage I wouldn't even mind losing m data as long as I can get it back working.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.