Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently updated my (HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca) Windows 10 OS to the latest build and I figured that facial recognition was no longer working. I've tried updating the drivers through HP Support Assistant as well as manually from the HP Support website. I have even formatted my laptop thinking that I might have messed up with the System files, but restoring my laptop to factory settings also did not help me. In fact, now I'm not able to configure my Windows Hello. I've again tried the Windows Update and the drivers update from HP Support Assistant. Will HP or Microsoft do anything about this? I'm attaching a screenshot for further reference.Windows Hello (Facial Recognition).PNG

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

My OS version is Windows 10 1709 but the latest driver for the camera is for version 1703 [HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver (Windows 10 v1703)]. I would request HP to update their drivers for this OS version in order to sort this issue.2.PNG3.PNG

HP Recommended

Open Device Manager and expand Imaging Devices to see the camera. Right click the camera and choose Update driver. This worked on my loaner Spectre. .hopefully it will for you.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem after windows fall creator update (Win 10 1709).

A temporary solution is reinstalling the driver, but after 1 or 2 days the problem with the webcam reappears.

It's obviously a driver issue:

Wrongfully adressing the webcam when plugging a USB device.

Constant power to the webcam (without visuals/functioning) after trying to adress the webcam with the camera app in windows.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX

Windows 10, version 1709

HP True FHD RGB-IR, 3.6.8.1

Please HP update the webcam driver.

HP Recommended

I tried that and my camera light came on but after 30 seconds or so it said "Couldn't turn on camera. Make sure it's working properly."

HP Recommended

If you're trying to reïnstall or update the driver via Device manager.

You first need to restart the laptop.

Restarting: you need to shut down and manually power on the device (don't choose restart in windows because the webcam will continue to be powered and a driver update isn't possible).

You can try to reïnstall the driver, did you already download the driver manually?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

After (re)installing, you can go to device manager and right click to update the driver.

But in my experience it only solves the problem temporary.

HP Recommended

Tried this but didn't work. Thanks anyways.

HP Recommended

Since last year, when ever Microsoft puts out a new version update for 10, Windows Hello breaks.

The fixes have ranged from registry fixes, security permissions to driver reinstalls.

What will work for one person, wont work for the next.

Prior to the FCU, the fix was to reset the TPM in the bios. You could try that and maybe it will work for you.

When it broke during the Anniversary Update, there were several discussing enabling biometrics via the Group Policy Editor, but that is only available in Windows Pro. There was a hack to download that enabled GPEdit in Windows Home but that no longer works in the newer Win 10 versions.

HP has been working with Microsoft on finding a fix since early this year, but no one has come up with anything to date.

HP Recommended

Thanks! That did the trick and fixed it for me too.

HP Recommended

This solution worked for me - Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.