Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one having this problem!! Has onyone found a resolution that really worked?

If so, can you please share, to apparently, a lot of people who are experiencing the exact same problem?  

Thank so much!!

HP Recommended

In my previous post, I faced similar problems-

downloading updates    failed

Applying selected items    failed

I do not know whether this works for you but it certainly comes out top for me!

I perform a HP health check, and you know what, the red exclamation mark

and the view important updates messages disappear.

You can try it out  first and see if it works. If it doesn't that you have no choice but to uninstall HP support assistant and downloading latest version for either notebook, home desktop or Business Desktop-

h18021.wwwq.hp.com/hekpand upport/HPSA.html

Good luck and  hope it helps you!

HP Recommended

My HP Support Assistant just kept trying to load.  I read this question then uninstalled the SA.  But now I can't download a version for Windows 7. 

HP Recommended
Hello gadwall,

Here is a document which gives some troubleshooting steps for HP Support Assistant, including the link to download the latest Widows 7 version.

Please let me know if this helps solve your issue,
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

It's worked for me.  I just have to do the restart now.  Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

OK, this is completely horked up & not working at all. The various "solutions" not only don't work, they make things worse. Ridiculous.

Current state:

- I have an bad installation of SA 6.x, I think. This is what install from System Recovery reports.

- I cannot uninstall SA 6.x via control panel. Control Panel uninstall shows *no* HPSA to uninstall.

- I cannot install SA 5.x or 6.x from either HP supplied installers, or System Recovery. All complain about an existing installed version.

- Microsoft FixIt does not detect HPSA as present, so won't try to do anything with it.

This is a Pavilion dv7, 64-bit, with Windows 7, patched current as of a day ago or so. I have Norton Utilities & Norton 360 Installed.

How to unwind this?

Tale of woe / how I got here and othewise wasted an entire afternoon following instructions...

I started by (stupidly) responding to a program failure message from HP Support Assistant (Current, 6.x.) Following various instructions from HP site & support forums it got worse. Wouldn't install. Incomplete install left app in un-removable state. App uninstall wouldn't work.

Eventually, following *another* series of instructions from HP Support I cleaned up the bad registry entries using MicroSoft FixIt (HP Support from some thread pointed me there - do not give me grief for going off the reservation.) This allowed *uninstall* of the offending program.  This allowed *install* of support assistant 5.x from the downloaded file as described in the various repair threads. So, that entire afternoon's "work" got me to the problem in this thread - HP SA stuck "downloading" updates & etc.

Following the instructions in this thread, I did an uninstall via Control Panel. That reported complete & successful. HPSA does not show up in list of programs via Control Panel. But it did not remove all app shortcuts & associated icons. Invoking a shortcut reports program error, not "shortcut doesn't point to anything" - whatever the official message is. Same state after reboot, and I reboot *before* doing any kind of install or update because this isn't my first rodeo.

Following yet another set of instructions I fell back to HP Restore, which showed both a 5.x and 6.x HPSA. With no *specific* guidance which one to prefer, I tried the 5.x, as support suggestion above says something about getting it to go this way, then immediately going to "refresh" to get the new version. Attempting to restore 5.x via HP Restore 1) Failed and 2) Marked the 6.x installation as "bad."

To reiterate, current state:

- I have an bad installation of SA 6.x, I think.

- I cannot uninstall SA 6.x via control panel, which does not see any HPSA.

- I cannot install SA 5.x or 6.x from either HP web support supplied installers, or System Recovery.

- Microsoft FixIt does not detect HPSA as present, so won't try to do anything with it.

- THIS IS A CONSEQUENCE OF FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED HERE IN HP SUPPORT - FOR HALF A DAY - BASED ON AN ERROR MESSAGE REPORTED BY HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT SOFTWARE.

HP Recommended
thanks
HP Recommended

I had same issues as you are having now with HP Support Assistant. If you are still having the problems with it let me know soon as you can by replying here and also by sending me an E-Mail here - [Personal Information Removed]  I am confident we can get you fixed right up.... Let me know please..... 

HP Recommended

I am haveing proublems with my support assistant every time i hit ok it it does not let me hit next

HP Recommended

I need you to E-Mail me to the address that I posted in the earlier reply. Once you have done that I will use your E-Mail address to send you my phone number and get your phone number. Then I will talk you thru it over the telephone and fix your computer. That is if you are willing to exchange numbers and talk to me on the phone. This is not a hard fix but it is a lil complicated and takes some time if you are not familiar with Windows. Please let me know how you want to proceed. We can definately fix your HP Support Assistant.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.