Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs234wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Notebook - 15-bs234wm, Product number: 3TT19UA#ABA. I was trying to delete some files, when I got an error message stating "File Access Denied. You'll Need To Provide Administrator Permission To Delete This File."  I hit the continue button, and another box came up stating "You Require Permission From Laptop-5C5I1OJR\1HEAVYDEE TO MAKE CHANGES TO THIS FILE." It was just a shortcut on my desktop. I hit properties, looked for the location of the file, File Manager, and it was sitting there labeled as a shortcut. I had already deleted the program, I just can't delete the shortcut. Why is the laptop and myself labeled as administrators, but I can't do anything that requires an administrator's permission? How do I get my administrative privileges back? I just tried again in file manager, and realized that every time I hit try again, the words "RECYCLING 1 ITEM FROM PUBLIC DESKTOP" comes up, except "PUBLIC DESKTOP" is blue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HEAVYDEE6425 

The shortcut deletion problem is a glitch with recent Windows.  I've run into the same issue several times recently.  Just reboot your PC and the desktop shortcut should be gone.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@HEAVYDEE6425 

The shortcut deletion problem is a glitch with recent Windows.  I've run into the same issue several times recently.  Just reboot your PC and the desktop shortcut should be gone.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm sorry that it took so long to get back to you, but when I rebooted, I lost a lot of websites and passwords. I even had to download the HP Support Assistant, and it was already installed when I bought the computer about 3 months ago. Thank You Very Much!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.