Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I started the BIOS upgrade for my HP Probook 455 G7 initiated by HP Support Assitant.

I've done that many times before but now the computer stucks with loud fan and black screen.
No hotkey functions like WIndows-B or similar worked. I tried then to flash the BIOS with the CH341A black edition tool.

So far, so good, the main problem is, that the firmware.bin file will not be identified as a correct BIOS file, ´cause

the size of this file of 17757104 bytes is to high for the BIOS chip MX25L12872F which has a maximum size of 16777216

bytes.

After spending the whole night with it I found out that the firmare.bin file provided by SP152753 is not a standard (U)EFI BIOS file. UEFITool does not reconize the right sections and will not find any Capsules which can be removed.

So, I need a valid BIOS (U)EFI bin file for that computer to flash the BIOS with NeoProgrammer or similar. How and where can I find that?

Best regards

ProBookUser61 (still)

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem. I started the update from the BIOS, the update began, the screen went black, and now the PC turns on, but nothing happens.

HP needs to find a solution to prevent bricking all these PCs.

HP Recommended

Hello,

We have same issue on 9 unit for now !

We are waiting an answer from HP business support.

Regards,

HP Recommended

We have 4 machines that have all failed of this model on BIOS firmware update

We are anticipating notice of further failures shortly

If anyone finds a way of reviving these laptops from the dead fully please let me know. I am out of depth with the CH341A black edition tool process and would appreciate some link or guidance on what I would be doing with that tool too.

HP Recommended

Hi,

we have the same problem. Currently, 6 computers are broken this way. HP Authorized Service suggested that the BIOS in the Windows Update patch is faulty, but installing version 1.17 straight from the BIOS, via the Internet or using Support Assistant, the effect is the same. The service technician replaced the motherboard and updated the BIOS from version 1.14 to version 1.17. Upgrading from versions 1.15 and 1.16 causes the problem.

HP Recommended

I have the same thing since yesterday evening 05-27-2024 with HP ProBook 455 G7 Amd Ryzen 5 4500U Type: 175W5EA#ABD 
The BIOS Update was also offered and done by HP Support Assistant over an administrative Account, the 1st Update Process had shown the regular BIOS and a Camera Update after the initial reboot. Then it went back to a black screen and terrible noisy fan. The 1st Update Process was not stopped before waiting roughly 45min in Front of the black screen.

European HP Business Support tried to do a "Cold Reset", BIOS Reset (Win+b Key) and boot the former BIOS V1.16 from USB Stick.
The Support employee told me, it could take up to 3.5hours until the PC comes back, but it isn't.
I now have organized an USB Stick with LED Light for booting the former BIOS, but on the HP ProBook ignore the USB Stick, the LED doesn't show any activity after hours, only the fan is working on 100% and makes my Wife and Dog Nervous 😉 

Further they told me, that the Notebook is out of warranty, but it is definetly an issue with the Patch V1.17 but obviously they are not interessted to recognise this.

Did anyone have other ideas? 
I am using manly HP Pro Products in my company and for customers over years, but never had this before.

Answers and info exchange could be also via:
EAschmies@t-online.de

HP Recommended

Same problem.  HP will replace the motherboards. I hope that they removed this bios update from the servers!!!

HP Recommended

Bios still available on HP Support site, we call support each days with no luck. Still waiting for investigation.

HP Recommended

Did you get the response from the HP Support Hotline? For me they try to discuss, that the warranty has left, but this are business devices which had originally 3 Years HP warranty. Sure 3 Years are over, but the issue/ error occurred depending on the update from HP BIOS V1.16 to V1.17 by the HP Support Assistant!!!

Even if you look for the entry from Woitek, at him they have replaced the motherboard and same thing happened with this BIOS Update. I think this should be reasons enough, that HP has to fix this urgently onto their bill.

Even if there are others, who run into this error, please also report here. The Support technican's at the HP Hotline always try to handle case by case, no one is interessted to accept that this is a general problem by HP.

Greetings from a long year german HP Pro Customer

HP Recommended

Lucky for us, we have more than 50 unit still on waranty for 15 days. For now 12 are broken. But no valuable answer by HP support business (France) for now. Still waiting their procedure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.