Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Dave thanks for the update.

Have been investigating the HP-SF issue a little more. I installed the version of HP-SF that HP supplied with the driver

DVD they had sent me earlier in the year just to see if it would make a difference. It is a much older version than most mentioned on this thread (4.0.39.1). Caused the same CaslWmi and CaslSmBios Errors and Warnings as before.

I then noticed that these Events are always preceded by this event: LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver.

I am wandering if you could look at your events log and see if you have a similar situation. I am not sure yet but this

could be related, as it is an Intel service and driver that possibly relates to BIOS discovery. I am investigating this on the

Intel site as, LMS (Local Manageability Service), HECI (Host Embedded Controller Interface) driver which is called MEI (Management Execution Engine) and ART (Active Management Technology) Intel® all appear related and are not working

on my machine. (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-active-management-technology/)

If their is a connection to the CaslWmi, CaslSmBios and HP-SF issues and HP has not realised this than they have a serious problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Renamo3,

I never have and never will use the AMT bitz , so I have permanently disabled ALL features , so sorry this is probably of little use to you , but I have never seen these EV errors , and I do keep an eye on these quite often due to my own probs.

However if you have or ever did enable these features , from experience with the NX6325's , that also have these business features , you MUST reset BIOS SECURITY TOTALLY  to FACTORY DEFAULT and reset HP's Credential Manager to get rid of ALL old passwords/old users etc ,you MUST have the latest AMT and MEI driver loaded even if NOT ENABLED , MEI has  some type of LAN/Chipset driver   ( sorry cant remember this bit , but it has something to do with sending commands from a central server to each machine in a business environment for upgrades etc   ) if you intend to swap the hard drive to another machine or downgrade/upgrade Credential Manager. OR you WILL get errors , I speak from experience on this one 🙂

I assume it is to stop you  swapping a drive around to get past their security,so is good , when it works :smileyindifferent: but bad if you get problems and can cause unfixable errors. BEWARE.

So check this if you have tried a major backward move as you may have junk on the drive / in BIOS causing probs as it was from a different newer version , and would not know what to do with it.

HP's latest update for HP Support Framework ( 4.5.12.1 ) has killed nearly ALL my Event Viewer errors apart from the CaslSmBios etc  , this is not because they have fixed them , it is because HP have decided in their wisdom to STOP Event Viewer from reporting them anymore.!!!!!!   although the occasional one still slips thro .

I have errors for HP Power Assistant every day or so ,but they now come from windows error reporting .

HP PA still refuses to " Collect Data "   :HalfEyes:

This is OK for some but now if you go look at Windows error reporting you will see that it gets bigger and bigger every day , due to these errors now being reported there instead !!

So not much of a fix by HP.

On a lighter note got a call from HP today :Surprise:

They wanted my laptop for 10/15 WORKING days , that equates to us normal peeps as getting close to 1 MONTH !!!!

WITH NO GUARANTEE of being able to fix the issue , and with MY PERSONAL drive in it , so as to be able to cross check software , windows updates etc.

Guess what ........ I said NO.............. TOO LONG ...................... unless you supply me with a LEND machine .

Just checked it with the drive that it turned up with as it has updates but NO PERSONALfiles or programs, its only been run 6/10 times , I put HP's new versions of HPSF and HPPA on it and ...................SAME ..............still got no HPPA and still has errors .Thank god , so I can send it with that if I have to lose it for a bit.

Still think they are takin the #### , asking for it with my personal files and for nearly a month , I PAID A PREMIUM for HP's NEXT DAY ONSITE , repair , how does that equate then ??

Good Luck all,

Will let you know if it gets better , and funnier , I have stopped being angry at their incompitence , I now find it amazing that such a " Tom and Jerry " outfit has got so far in this competitive world.

HP Recommended

A word to the wise , ALWAYS check what HP have written on your support page if you generate a case because this is what was written after my phone conversation :

Called EU

EU stated that the the case was logged in the month of May and
now we are asking questions on the error message

EU stated that he does
not want to give any more info and wanted the issue to be fixed

This was not the case as can be seen from the above , so beware words can be , mistrued !!!!!!

I have obviously returned an email thats not quite so polite !!!!!!

HP Recommended

Dave thanks for the info on AMT. Exactly what I was looking for to make sure that this was not the cause of the problem. Great that I can now eliminate this and not bother any further with it.

Will be great to see what HP has come up with once they have looked at your machine.

Take under consideration that English (US and UK) is not their first language of the people working for HP in the call centers and the support pages. I have seen some amasing statements also in manuals.

HP Recommended

Well that got a response :generic:

Got an email yesterday ,HP have now asked for a ghost image of my drive so they can deploy it on another machine !

I responded with , you can have my spare drive if thats better as it acts exactly the same as the one I am using and has all updates done from MS and HP. This is the original drive that came with PC and has only a few hours of testing etc , never been really used .

Still think this is a Hardware issue with BIOS , and not software related ,

So we wait .

Out of interest I notice that I am talking to HP Atlanta USA , NOT HP UK ?

Dave.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear.
Maybe our {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion} has finaly found an ear at HP
HP Atlanta USA is probably better anyway.
Sami

HP Recommended

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GOOD NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few days ago HP contacted me and asked me to download and try a new Beta BIOS for the 8740w , version F22.

I have and YES we have a fix finally , HPPA works and errors gone for 1 day so far !

I'm sure somebody mentioned a BIOS fix was needed 6 months ago :OpenSmile:

This is part of the email I have returned to HP Support , as it may well be of use if you try and get HPPA working ,

it's not just a case of loading the new BIOS and it all works " out of the box ". You do have to play around a bit

or you may be lucky.

I loaded the new F22 BIOS and it loaded absolutely fine, I used my original
drive with the EFI partition intact , no extra software , no antivirus , just
updates of HP drivers and Microsoft updates ,apart from the error in the BIOS update.log relating to SMBIOS again
as before.      ( I have included a similar log in previous discussions)

I then tried HPPA and tried to " Collect Data " , initially this failed as it said HPPA could not detect a battery ?

But could do a battery test , which passed ?

Having seen this happen before after the last BIOS update and also after loading the newer HPPA 2.5.0.16 , I knew it
needed to have the battery re-calibrated.

This involves fully discharging the battery till system shuts down and then allowing it to fully recharge
till the charge LED goes orange/blue and then turns off , before restarting the Laptop.

Once I had done this I tried to " Collect Data " again , it could now see a battery and the amount of watts being used again , and for the " first time ever " it actually managed to do a data collection  without stopping at 1% and giving errors. This took approx 1 hr to complete , and scrolled through each power profile doing its measurements seamlessly.

All seemed great and I finally thought ALL my issues with this lovely piece of kit had gone.

I then put my normal drive back in and did another " Data Collection " all worked fine , and the correct data seemed
to be shown.    No errors in Event Viewer and no Windows WER reports.

I kept checking EV and WER every half hour to see , however WER reports and Event Viewer from Windows started to re-appear again after a 6-7 hours of use, all with regard to the hppa service having stopped , for an unknown reason , and
needed to be restarted ? .

Although this was not evident whilst using the system , no hanging or lockups or the icon in tray disappearing, I could at any point hover over the icon and see the watts being consumed.

So I thought I'd try running back to the older HPPA 2.0 , as the errors in Windows WER reports had only started after loading the newer HPPA version it seemed.

So I tried a full Uninstall of HPPA 2.5 and reinstall of HPPA 2.0 , again I had to re-calibrate battery for HPPA to detect it , but HPPA would then not do a" Data Collection " and even before it's normal stop at 1% of collection , simply errored at 0% after about 5 mins , saying data could not be collected due to an unknown error. I tried a few restarts then reloaded
the HP Power data files again aswell thinking maybe these had become corrupted , still no go.

I also had a couple of times when it refused to shut down and had to be buttoned down , upon restart it also did not boot , giving me all LED's on with full fan , no screen and 3 flashes on the CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK led's , which is for memory issues.      Holding power button down and restarting fixed this but I wanted to be sure .

So I removed both modules cleaned the contacts with Isopropyl Alcohol and swapped them over.
This seems to have cured whatever was causing memory problem.

So not knowing where to go from here I tried a complete uninstall of HPPA , HP Power Data removal of battery and press "ON" button for 30 secs. I then rebooted and restarted a couple of times to stabilise the system. Reloaded HPPA 2.5 and HP Power Data , re-calibrated battery by running flat and then a full recharge .

Re-started Laptop and tried it on a " Collect Data " again , all went well and Data was collected with no errors.It also showed in ADVANCED the amount of watts consumed by the " Other Devices " this time ( 6.8 watts ) ,and turning brightness UP/DOWN showed the figures in watts changing ,in both advanced and on the first PROFILE tab .

I have run this now for about 10 hrs and so far have NO ERRORS in Windows WER 🙂

So , in conclusion , YES the BIOS update has improved the issue greatly as it now does " Data Collection " via HPPA , and hopefully the WER errors have stopped .

I will wait and report back in 7 days or before if I start to get errors appearing again in WER , for hppa service . Which I shall keep for you.

The reason for this is previously when I updated HPPA errors did disappear in WER for 2 days , but then returned again on a regular daily basis.

So all looks good so far , will report back in a week or so and let you all know how it is going.

P.S.  The F22 BIOS also includes some USB3 fixes , seems to have lowered system temps a little bit and a fix for system battery does not charge properly when the system is connected to a  90W AC adapter.

HP Recommended

Oh Dear 😞

Booted up this morning and instantly checked the WER reports folder, a new set of files appeared at boot.

However HPPA seems to be working fine , there are no Event Viewer errors atall , just these 4 files being made.

If I delete them and reboot they reappear , if I leave them , no extra reports are made.

All the reports suggest that HPPA service has stopped ?

So it seems Windows thinks HPPA has stopped for some reason , where it hasn't , and is working fine ?

Also the error reports make numerous mentions of .net 2 , could this be a problem as I have .net 4 loaded

and as such , .net 2 is disabled by default.

Have reported this to HP and I am now waiting for what to do next.

HPPA stopped working.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Had the same 4 errors in Windows WER Reports again today , and it seems if I remove them , they reappear again on a

reboot.

The report.wer file opened via notepad still refers exactly the same to hppa_service.exe has stopped ,

although it seems to be working fine ?

No Event Viewer errors , and HPPA shows what seems to be relevant info all the time.

So now waiting for HP to come up with a solution for the WER errors , but is looking good as at last the HPPA bit

works  , even though it does create weird errors ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Today I booted up to no errors atall !

Strange , normally I can guarantee a set of 4 WER errors on every reboot , tried reboot still nothing ?

It seems sometimes the hppa_service does not cause an issue ?

I have seen this before and gone 2 days with no errors and then it reappears again.

No Software added , No Updates done.

Dave.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.