Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update. Good to know that you are still hanging in their with HP.

What a sad reflection on the company but probably no one cares.

Sami

HP Recommended

Hi,

Nope, you guys are not alone with this problem!

Got this on a few Probook 4540s. No software, BIOS ou firmware upgrade fixed this issue... I'll contact the Support to see if there is something new about this and hopefully I'll get back with something new.

HP Recommended

@Michose

It is strange that the later BIOS update did not fix this issue as HP put out a BIOS update sometime ago that simply removed some functionalety and people that used the update no longer had the problem. I think their are a few posts in this tread relating to this sometime back. (If not in this tread then in one that is mentioned and linked here).

I wish you all the best with HP Support and hope they finaly come to the party.

HP Recommended

Hi Renamo,

Good to see you are still about 🙂

Well I'm a bit pi*sed off with HP , messed me around for a year + , spent hours doing tests , running their special programs for faults , collected god nows how many WER reports etc even  asked me for an image of my machine ,

and never ever came back to me with any explanation whatsoever as to why my machine was playing up.

They even lost my Flash Drive that I sent them and they had to send me a new one , doesn't give you much faith

when they ask you to send the Machine back in , I am so glad I never did , and went the flash drive image route,

or I may never have got it back !!!

They waited till my warranty expired and then closed my case and refused to reply to any emails !!

Basically it was left to me to find the issue that was causing the problem.

What an appauling way to treat a business customer ,I have had many HP's over the years , swopping over to

HP when my DELL PRECISION M70 finally bit the dust , when the chipset needed a reball or replacement M/Board.

At this point I have 2 x 8730w , 8740w , HP Envy 17 , HP xw8400 WORKSTATION all these are Quad core with high spec video cards ,1920 x 1200 screens , even got these two ; 2530p , 2740p  , normally I get these from the states as they get higher spec stuff way before we do ,I may now go look further afield to source my next machine upgrade .

However I finally got myself organised and fitted an OCZ Vertex 500GB SSD to the 8740w , rebuilt XP Pro / Win7 Pro / Ubuntu 13.1 , and didn't load HP Power Assistant this time .....BINGO .... no more Event Viewer errors ,the only error I have now occasionally is this :

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0

Vendor ID: Device ID: 0x8086:0xd138

BUT ..... I know this is related to the Intel Chipset and the Nvidia 5000m card , as it appeared sporadically as soon as I loaded the new Nvidia driver thats just come out , had this on an earlier driver , which was fixed quite quickly , not sure if its Intel or Nvidia that need to fix this as last time both manufacturers provided updates at the same time ?

So it looks like the BIOS update and then a full rebuild with no HPPA has fixed my issues ! No help from HP :HalfEyes:

Finally my Tri Boot 8740w is working correctly on all 3 running systems , and fast with the SSD .....

So I thought I'd treat myself to a Bluetooth mouse that would work on ALL 3 running systems !!!

The saga begins again......... finding a BT mouse that works on all 3 is not that easy , after many hours of reading

about the HID specs and versions , turns out you need a mouse that complies with BT HID v1.5 or better and MUST NOT

broadcast its battery voltage via BT , XP wasn't the problem it was Ubuntu and 7 that have an issue with this on many mice !!!! causing them to stall when the running system asks it its battery voltage 😞

W . T . F  !!   XP they had it sussed Battery Voltage polling worked smoothly, and then they regressed on Win 7 and Ubuntu ( NOTE earlier upto Ubuntu 10.1 is OK )

6 BlueTooth mice tested ( Microsoft 5000 , Terex , 2 x Chinese ,Trust MI 5300m ,Gigabyte M7700B ) I wanted a mouse

that would load as a basic mouse without AUTHENTICATION everytime , the Gigabyte was the only mouse that would work with all 3 without stalling after a few minutes and having to turn OFF/ON to reconnect , and being able to switch running systems and NOT have to hit the reconnect button on mouse everytime . I never have to use the reconnect button on mouse ,now all 3 have seen and linked to the mouse I just have to turn off swap OS and then turn back on , and it simply reconnects ....brilliant 🙂

So now I am happy with my Laptop , and this Gigabyte mouse is really nice and smooth ,and simply awakens with

a swift wiggle no left click or anything , even brings it out of screensaver mode 🙂

Sorry to all out there who were hoping for a real fix , I did try very hard to force HP to fix this BUT they held back

and never stepped up to the plate even with a valid explanation as to where the problem occured , they had numerous

WER error reports an image of the whole drive etc and never answered ANY of my questions.

I think alot of the problem is in the BIOS of these machines , this is where the HPPA errors seemed to point to , and

HP now using RSA signed BIOS's means they cost more to update , many of the Elitebooks and Pro Books seem to

have little niggles that never seem to get a fix , shame on you HP ,this is very poor when you make a £3000 laptop

and then don't follow up with updated firmware and drivers.

Dave.

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Thank you for that last post. It is a great post.

I fully support your stance on HP's performance in this matter and will think very hard of continuing to support the company when time comes to buying new hardware. In their support though I must mention that I was having an issue with cooling on my 4520s and 3 month before my extended 3 year warrenty ran out they replaced the fan and MoBo onsite.

Their are two things that surprised me in your post.

1. How come you are not using a Virtual environment to run your three OSs but opted for TriBoot?

2. I was surprised that you did not test a "Logitech" mouse.

Looks like this thread has now run its course. We certainly can not be seen as having laked tenasety in this matter and it was great having you onboard all these years.

Sami

HP Recommended

Hi Renamo,

Not really given the Virtual environment alot of thought , but I like the 3 seperate OS's , there are advantages to all 3 , eg .XP has very little DRM and other little quirks etc etc  , I also like the idea of having 3 totally seperate OS's its like 3 seperate PC's , and maintenance/repairs/virus/malware are easy to deal with eg 7 gets infected , boot to XP and go into 7 partition and repair , the malware cant see you attacking/cleaning it off as the system its on is not live.

In respect of the Logitech mice had a few over the years , but nearly all won't work with the internal Bluetooth dongle , you have to use Logitech's own BT dongle 😞  Also nearly ALL Logitech mice do the Battery Polling of the internal battery on mouse , this is bad news on Win 7 and Ubuntu 11 onwards, causes the mouse to stall after a few minutes of use , when the polling occurs , after which either a few minute wait or a On/Off cycle of mouse is needed to make it work again.

I am not saying ALL Logitech are bad because of this , but there are a vast majority that have issues regarding Linux , after looking on google and quite a few for Win 7  ( unless using their dongle ) , so the idea of spending £30 on a mouse and then running into this issue would be a deal breaker as I needed compatibility for all 3 OS's. The other thing is go look at some mice specs ,there are no Logitech mice that list compatibility on Linux , so its an expensive guess if it will or not 😞

On a lighter note , got a reply from HP HELP regarding this forum post ???????????????????????

So they DO read these forum posts 🙂

Promised that my issues would be forwarded to the relevant local department , and a resolution found ............well I am not going to hold my breath 🙂

I agree HP aren't all bad , when I first got this machine had a few BSOD's etc  , HP were on it instantly and changed the MOBO within a couple of days onsite . So I can't fault them regarding responding to the issue quickly , BUT.....

When I got these issues and wanted some help that actually involved thinking and not "Fit a New bit " we ran aground and I could NEVER get any real answers to the issue , even though I was talking to TECH 3 in the states ??

I appreciate that sometimes issues cannot be "fixed " and some hardware will not work with others not because its faulty but because of firmware clashes or software working in different directions for the seperate bits of hardware ,

HOWEVER,

I do expect a civil answer , to the questions I posed , I dont think thats unreasonable ? At least that way I can decide which bits are not happy with each other and therefore choose my own work around giving me the best of what I can get from the situation , by knowing where the problems arise .

Dave.

P.S. Will post back here if I do hear back from HP , WATCH THIS SPACE 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

VM-environment and mouse issues do not belong in this thread but as I have info to share with you I will use e-Mail in the hope that your address is unchanged from about two years ago.

Was glad to hear that you got a response from HP. Maybe they are concerned about individual customers after all not just the corporates and I fully aree with your statement on expecting civil answers, to questions one posts, not just the run around of "Fix a new bit" or "re-install the software. Not all computer user are newbees, sometimes a little more effort is required.

I will watch this space:smileywink:

Sami

HP Recommended

Hi Sami,

I agree getting off subject a bit , but thought I should share my mouse experience , just couldn't be bothered to start a new thread 🙂

Email the same as before 🙂

Dave.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Well it looks as though there are still many many views of this going on , just updating those who think HP cares  :LaughingTears:

The answer that returned from HP help simply vapourised , I answered their email and they said they would look into it,

well its either a very deep hole they are exploring or they have no intension of responding as my warranty is now dead.

On a better note , a full rebuild from disc onto an SSD seems to have fixed the issues , ALL errors now have gone even the wierd PCI bus error Chipset/Nvidia issue . So it was the HP software that caused the issues !!!

STAY AWAY FROM HP POWER ASSISTANT  seems to be the answer , some very useful bitz in there but doesn't outweigh

the problems it causes.

All the best to you all , from the UK.

Dave.

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you and thank you for the heads-up on the HP Help feedback.

You have lost me with your reasoning though. How do you conclude that it was the HP software that caused the problems all along based on the fact that all was fine after you did a clean build on a SSD. Why should the SSD make any difference to the software?

Sami

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.