Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

More than likely the issue affects all 15-ch0* machines. It sounds like a BIOS update is needed, which will likely materialise in due course.

We are still very early in the roll-out of 1809 - it only went to general release two days ago. It will take a while for manufacturers like HP to catch up with any necessary updates and for the various glitches to be shaken out.

HP Recommended

Any SSD with an Intel 600 or Toshiba SSD has issues. There has been a Windows update rolled out to help with that.

KB4100403 is Microsoft's latest fix for the SSD issues

See the following Update catalog,  download the appropriate version from the list and run it.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4100403

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

This patch was released in may and for 1803 now is october and 1809. I'm trying update from MedaiCreationTool1809 which must have all patches released before.

HP Recommended

Well, in that case, you will have to thank Microsoft and wait for a Microsoft minute. :Wink:

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Having the same issue, but not on HP hardware, but a new Microsoft Surface Book 2: updating to Windows 10 1809 lead to frozen boot screen after Windows asked me to reboot (only the white Windows logo is visible in the center of the screen and I see a rotating disk indicator below that). I waited for a reboot more than 4 hours after being stucked in the boot screen, the re-boot leads to the same issue!

@MICROSOFT: Do you guys think this is funny? I don't have time to waste with fixing the problems of your QA department! I am not amused at all and will indeed start looking for other alternatives!

HP Recommended

@Bitmaster79

We are all in the same boat, although I would not expect a brand new Microsoft Surface 2 to give you such issues.

The general concensus  is to avoid the 1809 update  rolls out a patch to fix the issues. The issue can cause disappearing files as well. If possible, rollback to version 1803 and postpone the update.

HP Recommended

Many people across the internet report issues with the October update and their SSD.

For now, the smart thing to do is wait a few weeks and watch to see when Microsoft has worked out the bugs and rollled out a patch for the SSD and/or chipset issues. In the Microsoft Communities forum, Windows 10 section,  there are plenty of members complaining that the update has big problems.

HP Recommended

I have successfully updated a Windows 10 Pro virtual machine i use for test purposes to 1809, but my roll out stops there at the moment. It is too soon for me to feel it is worth spending the time to upgrade my Microsoft Surface Go to 1809 and to test the system once upgraded - I need that system to be working, not spend hours messing around with it.

I always image a system I am upgrading to an external drive immediately before attempting the upgrade. As the imaging software I use allows for 'bare metal' restores, this gives me an easy way back if both the upgrade and rollback fail. Even so, it still takes time to upgrade, test and, if the upgrade has caused an insurmountable problem, either rollback or restore the system from the pre-upgrade image. I am always keen to have new features, but it is a balance. I can wait for new features and would rather let others have the early adopter pain. I agree with @erico - it is clear that this update has huge issues in circumstances that do not seem to be clearly understood yet.

At the moment, all the machines I am responsible for are on 1803 except one production virtual machine that is still on 1709 (it repeatedly refused to upgrade cleanly to 1803; I will endeavour to upgrade it to 1809 once the issues with 1809 are worked out). That is how things will stay for a few weeks whilst Microsoft fix the key bugs in 1809 and important driver and BIOS/firmware updates emerge. My tentative plan is to roll out 1809 in around six weeks, though I will keep that plan under review.

HP Recommended

Hello - maybe the BIOS - but recent posts point to the Intel Audio driver (part of the Graphics driver) 
for more details see https://wccftech.com/intel-windows-10-1809-compatibility/

Intel suggests to wait for the computer manufacturer to provide customized drivers . . . 

HP Recommended

Microsoft have now paused the rollout of 1809 and have removed the downloads. This one was not ready for prime time!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.