Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone! I should warn you:

Few days ago there was something like "Intel Software Update" via Windows update center. After that I've tried to update 1809 via Windows Update Assistant and first time notebook haven't rolled back to 1803. It STARTED to update, showed update percentage and after reboot I had the same old loop with HP logo and dots, but without any options to restore old windows.

Had to make clean install of 1803 build.

Be careful!

HP Recommended

I've got reply from HP support:

MSFT has put a block on this platform and RS5, for now, customer needs to keep using the previous build RS4 until a solution is available, possible via BIS update. Please inform customer, the problem is knonw, not related to HP product but RS5 and the HP image. Please let him know that Microsoft is working with HP for a solution and he can continue to use his unit with the previous build.

HP Recommended

Have any of you been told to contact Microsoft about the problem and if so, were you able to get through.  I've been on a couple of chat sessions and people I've been chatting with are clueless.  All they keep saying is that it's an update problem and Microsoft has to fix it.  The number they gave me is 1-800-102-1100.  When  I call, I get that this number is temporarily unavailable.   I'd really like to hear what MS has to say about this.  Let me guess...it's an HP problem.

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
HP Recommended

I just did another check at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282 which is a list of HP products tested with Windows 10 and the HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx is still listed there as compatible.  Isn't that false advertising or has someone out there actually got 1809 to install on their Spectre?  Inquiring minds want to know 🙂  Wishful thinking on my part since people won't be on the forums if they aren't having problems...normally anyway.

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
HP Recommended

HP Germany told me that they are working with Microsoft on the problem and I should wait for around 2 weeks.. so we have to wait here.

HP Recommended

@contactbrads wrote:

Should I stay with current 1803, or downgrade to something more reliable and secure? Again, I’m savvy enough to be dangerous, but want something I can rely on for work and maintain our “premium” laptop features. 

Yes, 1803 is fine and in my opinion, if you use your laptop for anything important, you should stay there until there is a fix. 

Windows update for 1809 for our laptops is blocked.  BUT if you go into Windows Update and click the Check for Updates button (this is called 'Seeking' in MS speak) you will get the 1809 update. If you don't do that, you should not see the 1809 version until there is a fix and you will continue to get security and other updates. Just not feature updates like 1809. 

If you have to update for some reason, the only option you have is to join the Windows Insiders program in the Fast Ring, which will install 19H1 (skipping 1809 altogether).  Different folks have had different results when doing so and there is no guarantee that they won't change something during the process that breaks things, the change that broke our laptops happened in the late builds of 1809 prior to release.

If you continue to try to install 1809, you will at some point get past the spinning dots, it will start to load and then hang at a later portion of the update.  The ONLY thing you can do at that point is a fresh install, so if you have any data that is not backed up, you will lose it. 

I know that it is hard to wait, but unless you have a lot of time to spend rebuilding and reinstalling AND a complete and current backup of ALL your data, it is safest to stay on 1803. For me, there just isn't anything new in 1809 that I have to have (even though the idea of not being able to update drives me nuts) I'm staying on 1803 until I can trust the next version to not blow up. I mostly use my laptop for work, I can't afford hours / days of downtime, losing source code or any data for that matter, all for a feature update that doesn't have any new features that I need.

I'm getting emails (last one was yesterday) from an senior support engineer at HP letting me know they are working on it.  To be fair this is not strictly an HP problem. It is a HP / Microsoft / Intel / AMD problem, that's why a fix is taking forever. Those 4 are not exactly known for their cooperation with each other.  

HP Recommended

, Thanks for all the good info there!  That's sound advice, and I will be sticking with 1803 until they "push" a new update for us that works!

And I agree that not being able to update to the latest software is pretty silly!
HP Recommended

I notice on the Intel Driver page they have now released the driver for our Spectre devices. This was released on the 10th Jan. I'm assuming all it need now is for HP to add their bits and release it to us via whatever means. Hopefully it will not be too much longer.

Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-8705G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GL graphics (8M Cache, up to 4.10 GHz)

HP Recommended

Link to the Intel driver site and the new driver can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28432/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics?product=80939

HP Recommended

No luck for me with the newest drivers unfortunately, same as always.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.