Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When attempting to update to Windows 10 build 1809, the laptop always suffers from a BSOD after the restart. I have tried the following:

- Attempted to update normally

- Restored to HP original disk image and then updated

- Used the "fresh start" option in Windows 10 then updated

- Created a new Windows 10 boot USB with build 1809, formatted the SSD, and then did a fresh install

- Did a fresh install of build 1803, then attempted to update

All of these have the same result; for the third one left the computer in a state where it was unable to get into Windows so I had create a boot USB with build 1803 to recover it. I am open to any suggestions to get this to work.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Docrev,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you need information and assistance related to latest Windows update. Don't worry I'll be glad to assist you.

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I understand you're having issues updating to latest build which is 1809. 

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) is a major refresh that brings new features and enhancements to improve the overall experience for desktops, laptops, and tablets.

According to Microsoft that there's indeed a problem that can delete your personal files during the upgrade process. As a result, the company has stopped distributing the October 2018 Update, and it's recommending users not to proceed with the installation using the ISO file until the problem is fixed.

I would suggest you wait until further notice before updating to the latest version. 

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Microsoft is actively pushing this update again, if I let my computer automatically update it tries and fails to update to 1809. This moves the onus to HP to resolve what appears to be a driver compatibility issue.

HP Recommended

Although the premise of your statement WAS true 2+ months ago, Microsoft fixed those bugs and re-released the 1809 update. 

HP just ignores the FACT that the Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx CANNOT update to 1809 because of a problem that HP fails to fix. This has been known to HP since Microsoft implemented the new driver model.

[post edited]

HP Recommended

Having the same problem, what is the HP issue holding up the update.  I am also stuck on 1803.

HP Recommended

I too had the same issue.  It looks like HP and Intel both have update needed drivers for the upgrade.  I installed in ran the Intel  Driver & Support Assistant as well as the HP Driver & Support Assistant.  When you go to these respective websites, it will auto-scan your device to identify it, then will offer and driver updates needed.  Once I installed the updated drivers then Windows Update would finally update me to their current build.  If you wait for all of the driver updates to get bundled into the Windows Update itself, you may have a long wait.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for the info.  When I run the scan at the HP website I get several updates for drivers, when I run the HP assistant (HPA) scan in my computer I get none.  I think it is because my Win Ver is 1803 so if the driver update pertains to1809  or 1903 I am not getting an driver update notice.  

For example my bios was out of date, the HPA did not indicate this, but the HP web site indicated it should be updated to ver31.

I used the Chat assistant to help we and he updated the Bios.

HP Recommended

I have a spectre folio and it is frustrating that this was what I thought would be an improvement on my other laptop, an older Sony ultrabook which has easily updated to win 10 1909 giving extr features.

I have read other posts and note that HP suggest waiting until this problem is resolved in the future.

But when will that be.  I switched to HP thinking it is a reputable brand but why has this obvious problem not been resolved by now.

Please advise.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@MARVOLOS,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need the product number for your computer.

Follow the steps in the below article to find the product details.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I updated the bios and now updates to 1909 with no problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.