Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook X7W81UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys. I just bought a new PC for school and the HP Support Assistant program recommends an update to the BIOS. Now I know the update is available but I also know that you typically should only update if their is a problem as updating BIOS is risky if not done properly.

Now since is a recommended update, I have already attempted the update and it has failed twice. I do not want to keep taking chances of messing up a brand new machine just for an update that may not even been necessary to begin with.

What I would like to know, is what exactly does this update add/fix on this machine? I have already searched the Internet but have been unsuccessful in finding a description for this paticular update. If someone could please take a look at the attached screenshot and let me know what this update is for, I would be most appreciative. At least then I could make an informed decision on wether or not I'm going to attempt this update again.

PC Model:     HP Notebook X7W81UA#ABA

Current BIOS version:     Insyde F.09

Suggested BIOS version:    F.13Ap1

Thank you.

2016-08-20.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @EnlightenedShad,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you have a question about a BIOS update. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

All the drivers and update can be found at www.support.hp.com.

when I looked at the BIOS F.13 Rev A.  the fix and enhancements shows - Provides enhanced password recovery. 

I do not think this is a required update.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @EnlightenedShad,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you have a question about a BIOS update. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

All the drivers and update can be found at www.support.hp.com.

when I looked at the BIOS F.13 Rev A.  the fix and enhancements shows - Provides enhanced password recovery. 

I do not think this is a required update.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you. Since all it is something like password recovery, I will not update and risk messing up my PC for such a small change. Thanks again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.