Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook Folio 9470m Ultrabook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have an hp elitebook folio 9470m where i have tried to make a total reinstall - which has resulted in that there is nothing at all on it - it ended with that it could not continue since there was a file missing and now i have a laptop without the OS on and have no idea how to get it started again.

Apparently, there are no recovery files on the laptop anymore.

I have a windows 7 (it is born with W8) on usb I really want it to use - but it won't start on usb. I can get it to see the USB drive - but it doesn't "use" the start file to run the setup. 

What am I doing wrong and what can I do now?

BR

Alberte

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi, Alberte:

If you really would rather have W7 on your notebook, you have to do a couple of things...

1. Go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.   W7 is not compatible with secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

2. The specs for your notebook indicate that it only has USB 3 ports and W7 won't install from a USB 3 port.

Check your BIOS settings and see if there is a USB port setting to have the USB 3 ports emulate USB 2 ports (or a legacy USB setting).  In any event, the setting can't be on USB3 only.

If so, change the setting for now until after W7 is installed.  Then you can change it back.

Then to boot from the W7 USB installer, have it in the USB port, restart the PC, tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen.   Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the Legacy USB diskette on key (USB Flash drive), and press the Enter key.

If that doesn't work, I have an alternative way of installing W8.1, so either way, we should be able to get your notebook back in action.

For the W8.1 install, let me know if you need W8.1 Pro or standard, single language, or the N version of any of these (N=you live in an EU country).

HP Recommended

Hello Paul. Thank you for taking the time to help.
I have changed the bios setup and have borrowed a DVD drive - so the W7 is installed but I can't see which drivers I need to download to just make the internet work. Apparently I lack everything! Every time I try to install a downloaded file from the HP driver support page, the OS tells me that it cannot extract that file because it is not valid!
At the same time, it seems that the drive where there should be HP tools is empty.
Some good ideas?
BR
Alberte

____________________-

And as I was writing to U I had succes installing HP support assistent - does that help in any way? BR A

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm pretty sure your notebook needs these wifi and ethenet adapter drivers...

This package contains drivers required to enable functionality of the Intel Wireless LAN adapter on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58782.exe

This package contains the driver installation package for the Intel 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75327.exe

If the wifi driver doesn't work, please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller.   Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. When I try to instal I get this message: The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attemting to run has been corruted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity and try again.'

And that is the message it comes with no mather what I try to install - what to do?

BR A

HP Recommended

Is the version of W7 you installed SP1?

It needs to be if it isn't, before you can install any drivers.

If you did, here is what I recommend you do, because the files I posted download and unpack for me just fine.

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the file you downloaded.

For example, right click on sp58782.

Select 7-zip from the list of items on the menu.

have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name (sp58782).

Once that is done, you can open the file that 7-Zip created and run the setup application from there, or you can simply to to the device manager, click on the Network Controller device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

If you did not install W7 SP1, download the SP1 standalone update from the link below...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

HP Recommended

Hallo Paul. That helped 🙂 thanks - the procces of updating the machine is ongoing. 

In the first answer you wrote that it was posible to install W8.1 - at a point I have to update as the Windows Update dosn't support W7 anymore - how do I do that? BR Alberte

HP Recommended

Hi, Alberte:

Run this free file utility that I zipped up and attached below that will show you the Windows product key in the BIOS.

Copy and paste the Showkey Plus report to your reply without the actual product key.

I need to see what version of W8.1 the key in the BIOS is good for, and then I can give you the correct instructions.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul. Sorry the late answer - I can retrive the W7.1 key (look below) - but gets a error message when i try to retrieve the next key: Error clearing temp hive: Objektreferencen er ikke indstillet til en forekomst af et objekt.(DK text )

ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate

Version: 7601.Service Pack 1 (64-bit OS)

Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00006

Installed Key: 

OEM Key: [edited]

What now?

BR

Alberte

OEM Edition: Win 8 RTM Professional OEM:DM

HP Recommended

Hi, Alberte:

OK, so the Showkey Plus report indicates that your PC came with W8 Pro.

But if you can't retrieve the W8 Pro key, I don't know what you can do about that.

You may need to contact HP and get W8 Pro recovery media.

Here is how you can install W8.1 Pro by using the W8 Pro product key in your PC's BIOS.

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC, if yours is not working...You want W8.1 64 bit

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Only if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 Professional.

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 Pro key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the W8.1 Pro generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or usb flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from your PC's support page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.