Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPEnvy 17 k000 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi I have read through all of the messages in the 

My Laptop stuck at "Please wait" for ever.  forum area, and I believe I know WHY it happened, I just cannot figure out

how to fix it.  I think I turned notebook off (maybe) during a windows update - that's the only thing i can think of.  I've tried taking out battery, checked plugs, removed zip drives, did F11 and held down power to shut off, turned it on and off waiting 4 secs in between as someone suggested.

HP support please help!

Also, if I need to buy another notebook, will i be able to use my pc to pc data transfer?

Thanks

Vanessa     HP envy 17 k000

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Product Name: HPEnvy 17 k000 notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi I have read through all of the messages in the 

My Laptop stuck at "Please wait" for ever.  forum area, and I believe I know WHY it happened, I just cannot figure out

how to fix it.  I think I turned notebook off (maybe) during a windows update - that's the only thing i can think of.  I've tried taking out battery, checked plugs, removed zip drives, did F11 and held down power to shut off, turned it on and off waiting 4 secs in between as someone suggested.

HP support please help!

Also, if I need to buy another notebook, will i be able to use my pc to pc data transfer?

Thanks

Vanessa     HP envy 17 k000

HP Recommended

Hi @Vanessa365

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting !

This is happening because the computer cannot successfully and fully load Windows. This may be hardware problem or software problem. 

If related to a recently applied Windows update - you will not need to buy a new PC as this will be software/program issue, not a hardware defect.  But we need to check.  It also depends on what kind of update has been installed - was it the recently released Win 10 Creator's Update or something else.

Try these:

Perform hard restart/forced reset. More info and how to here >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

Please, perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results.

4. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from it's recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
This video has been updated: https://youtu.be/14GKIpGPNRM Learn how to test your HP computer hardware using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. For other helpful videos go to http://hp.com/supportvideos or http://youtube.com/hpcomputingsupport. More support options for your computing device are ...
HP Recommended

Hi @Vanessa365,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. After reading your post I see that you require information regarding The computer not booting. It will be a delight to assist you here.Smiley Happy

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

Please let me know the complete model# of the PC.

You stated that you turned off the machine during a windows update

We need to diagnose correctly if the issue is hardware or software related.

• Please do this. Perform a hard reset first by clicking here 
  • Then try to fire up the computer and check if it logs you into windows.
  • If it does not please try a system restore before the issue occurred to an earlier time by clicking here and select the option "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally "
  • Please try a system refresh by clicking here and select the option "Refreshing your computer when Windows will not open to the Start screen
  • If this does not work we need to perform a complete system recovery to factory settings by clicking here and select the option that best describes your computer and its purchase date.
  • Please perform all the steps diligently and patiently to correct the situation

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello, You can try removing battery if it's user removable if not hold power key for 30sec and see if it gets shutdown if yes then try turning on your device if done then all set if not use the recovery media that you have created using HP Recovery Manager and perform factory reset you are all set make sure you update the windows to its latest and all the drivers from HP

If it was helpful please do click kudos
HP Recommended

I've tried all the suggested fixes and my computer passed everything when I ran the diagnostic test.. It's just getting stuck at "please wait" screen when I start the F11 recovery process.

HP Recommended

Hi @nefertari6 

Welcome !

Since your hardware tests passed, this is a good (better) sign - it's a software problem. F11 stays on "please wait" probably because it (the recovery partition) is corrupted.

Let me know if this works for you and how it goes. If anything is unclear, please ask me back. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.