Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laptop 15-da0595sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new (13 days old) laptop is stuck in restore/recovery mode. It has been running for 2 hours now (and there is very little on it!) The message I have is : Please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored System Restore is restoring the registry ... and the timer circle is spinning constantly.

I don’t know what to do, as I presume it would be disastrous to force close it at this point? It doesn’t have an internal disk drive so no disks came with it.

I would really appreciate some help as I am quite upset and feel like I have killed my brand new computer! Thank you in Advance!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Step 1 Turn off the computer.  Press and hold the Power Button for 4 seconds.

Step 2 Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected devices such as
Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Step 3 Press and Hold the Power button again, for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.

HP Recommended

@Lil_Boy_Blue

This member has a notebook, not a desktop!

@Debec

If you have not created a USB recovery flash drive at this point, you will need to contact HP support to order one. 

What happened to your notebook? Was there a Microsoft or HP update that caused this to happen?

I have asked a Moderator to put you into contact with the appropriate team at HP to help resolve the issue.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

The spec says you have a ....

Hard drive
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06066139

Which should mean you can make Recovery USB once the system is stable again.

HP Recovery Media Creation.png

My previous answer was brief (but accurate), so here is the looooonng HP version...

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices, such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  6. Press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  9. On the Options screen, select Continue and continue to Windows 10.
  10. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, then press the Enter key.
  11. Reconnect each of the peripheral devices.

OR

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  5. If your notebook is listed in the table, use the instructions specific to your computer. For all other notebooks, press and hold the Power button for 8-10 seconds.
    note:
    The designated button combination varies by model and production date. If your computer is not listed below, refer to the User Guide for your specific model for the proper button combination.
    Common Model Name
    Typically Designated Button Combination
    HP Envy 17 2D and 3D
    Press and hold the Power and the Beats buttons for 8-10 seconds.
    HP Envy 15-3000 series
    Press and hold the Power and the Beats buttons for 8-10 seconds.
    HP Envy 14 SPECTRE
    Press and hold the Power and the Mute (on the right side of the palm rest) buttons for 8-10 seconds.
  6. Plug the AC adapter back into the computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  7. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  8. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, then press the Enter key.

HP Recommended

@Debec

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.