Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yesterday I updated the drivers of my new HP Victus 16-r0754ng (intel 13500h), I used driver boost to update all common drivers and there was no problem, later because I still had no audio drivers I also tried another driver program where I also updated various PCI drivers, but after the update the PC started to lag more and more and when I wanted to restart it hung up, so I held down the power button and shut it down. After the restart there was an error message that windows has to be repaired by a bootable usb, after restarting again there is now a blue error message panel "No bootable device found". If I now want to install windows again with a bootable usb, it cannot find the SSD, i.e. the drivers are causing problems.

It's not the hard disk either, I've replaced it as a test, the laptop can't find either of them.

On youtube you can see various solutions where you reinstall "intel rapid storage technology", but there are no storage drivers for my model "HP Victus 16-r00000", and windows 10 is not even selectable as operating system, only windows 11. i have tested different versions although they are not compatible with the hardware, but nothing has helped.

Specifications:

HP Victus 16-r0754ng (87C72EA#ABD)

[Personal Information Removed]
Intel 13500h
Samsung FR990 4 TB SSD

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Erik2631,

As you already are aware, Windows installer needs to see Intel RST VMD storage controller driver to detect the storage drive to install W10 or W11 on on the Intel Core 11th-13th gen processor platform.

I checked your model's drives download page, and it's strange that it doesn't list any IRST drivers.

You can install W10 on your model, but it may not be easy to find all right drivers, as HP doesn't provide any W10 drivers (MS will end W10 support in October 2025).

If you want to reinstall Windows with a Windows installation usb drive, you can see this discussion that shows an IRST VMD driver good for your processor.

Solved: Re: Can't find drivers for kioxia 256gb ssd while doing a fr... - HP Support Community - 905...

Another way to install W11 is to use HP Cloud Recovery Tool to create a bootable usb drive that installs W11, all drivers including IRST driver and HP software. This may be a better choice for you.

You need a 32 GB usb drive, and the cloud recovery tool can be downloaded from the MS Store. See this link for more info. Obviously, you need to use another PC to install the recovery tool and create a bootable usb drive.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Support

HP Recommended

The CPU I specified was wrong, it is an i5-13500h and not 12500h, I have now corrected this.

I have now tried the F6 folder, these drivers are also not compatible, presumably because of my incorrect specification? Maybe there are other drivers? I have actually tried all possible ones...

Then you say
"Another way to install W11 is to use HP Cloud Recovery Tool to create a bootable usb drive that installs W11, all drivers including IRST driver and HP software. This may be a better choice for you."

I installed the HP Cloud Recovery Tool on the USB stick and as expected I could not install anything because I got the error message "Application Close [Info] No HDD".

As I said, since the PCI driver updates with this driver program, the nvme ssd is no longer recognized, my windows was running on it, there is also no other hard drive in the laptop, which doesn't matter because it wouldn't be recognized either, I have already tried to replace the ssd, same result, so I think it must have to do with the BIOS (?) which prevents the ssds from being recognized? What should I do?

HP Recommended

If the recovery usb drive displays a "no HDD" message, it makes sense that the IRST F6 folder doesn't detect the storage drive.

Run a diagnostic tool for the SSD. Turn on the notebook and immediately tap the F2 key for Hardware Diagnostics UEFI for hard drive tests. If the test displays "no hard drive is installed," restart and go into F10 BIOS settings -> Exit -> Load Setup Default -> save and exit. Then try hard drive tests again. If hard drive still is not detected, maybe you got one of three possible problems:

1. Failed SSD  

If you have another PC that supports an M.2 NVMe, see if it detects the SSD. If you have a known working NVMe, try it to see if it is detected. 

2. BIOS malfunction

Your BIOS seems to be working. If BIOS is dead, the system cannot boot from a usb drive. I don't know if updating BIOS will do any good, but it is an option.

3. M.2 slot malfunction

This seems to be an unlikely cause, but the possibility is not zero. Some Victus notebooks come with two M.2 slots, but your notebook has only one M.2 slot, right?

HP Recommended

So other drivers for this laptop model that you can find on this support page can be found in the windows installation for loading, but for my notebook model there are not the drivers that I seem to need, so these RST / VMD / storage drivers...

1. even if the ssd was suddenly damaged, I have a 2nd ssd that works 100% and is also installed, but this is also not detected. So that would have to be ruled out.

2. i can get into the bios. Only when I booted into windows normally a few days ago and installed PCI drivers with a driver program, nothing works anymore. Is it possible that these driver updates have changed the settings in the bios? Unfortunately, I can find very few settings in this bios (F.20 Rev) and cannot change anything significant.

3. yes, I only have one M.2 slot. I don't know if it is likely that something has suddenly broken although everything was fine until the PCI driver updates...

I think I just need the right drivers like you see in several YT videos, which again don't seem to exist for this model?

HP Recommended

Well, it was like you said, I found out that it is the SSD on which windows is installed and not a bios or slot defect.

The SSD was bought from ebay and was stated as new, when I received it I installed windows on it which worked fine and CrystalDiskInfo gave me a 100% health status and 0 hours of uptime.

Based on the results of CrystalDiskInfo, can I assume that the SSD itself is not the problem but that the drivers / windows update (that i broke up)  installed on it have ruined windows? Only since the PCI driver update does the SSD not work either.

Or could it still be that the ssd is fake or something similar?

And more important: can an SSD nvme adapter show me the ssd despite the malfunction of windows if I examine it with another laptop so that I can format it?
I can't recognize the SSD with a windows live usb.

HP Recommended

You said the recovery usb detected "No HDD." As I suggested in my previous reply, you really need to run hard drive tests from F2 Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. Run smart check and both short and long DST tests. 

If the test displays "No hard drive is installed," you need a new SSD. If you don't agree with the test result, you can hook the SSD to another PC to see if it is detected or not.

Not sure what exactly happened to the SSD when you tried to update some drivers. Boot system files in the EFI partition were corrupted? Or Windows file structure was damaged? But if the SSD passes all the tests, your SSD is OK for the Windows reinstallation, so you really need to do the tests.

As to RST driver, RST VMD driver (v.19.5.2.1049) referenced in the thread is good for Intel Core 11-13th gen processors. See this Intel link that shows the same version of RST driver on their web site.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (11th up to ...

This thread below indicates that the author used this version of RST driver to install Windows in a laptop with an Intel 13th gen processor.

Solved: Rapid Storage Technology driver for HP 250 G10 - HP Support Community - 9040471

What I'm trying to say is that you are provided with a correct RST driver, but it doesn't find the SSD if the BIOS fails to detect it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.